Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 12:25 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 944 guy wants to enter 911 world

Hey everyone,
I'm sure you can tell that I'm into 944s, from my avatar and my sn. I got into them because my dad is a huge 928 freak, and my mom has had a 944 for a long time. I started liking Porsches too, and when I decided to buy one I got into the ones that I knew first-hand: front engined. I did this because of my dad's influence, and MAINLY because I could afford a 944 on a university student budget!

As my part-time job I have started buying and selling cars, and of course I started with a 944. I've pretty much completely rebuilt the car, including the headgasket, timing belts, clutch (not fun), etc. I've also worked on my moms 944, dads 928, brother's diesel benz, etc. so I'm pretty good with a wrench. Next, I wanted to buy this local 1972 911E with 1984 carrera engine. It's within my price range because it needs to have it's disassembled engine REassembled with a new crankshaft. I figure if the parts cost 2000 or less I can afford it, then make enough profit to pay for next semester. And at the same time get a taste of the legendary 911. The rest of the car is like new, rebuilt tranny, great body / interior.

How hard do you think a '84 911 engine rebuild is ? I figure as long as I follow the directions to the letter, with my previous experience it should be doable, but are there any huge pitfalls like does it take a $10,000 tool to do it right, will explode into a mushroom cloud if I don't get the exact right torques, etc. Also, about how much would it cost for a crankshaft and all the rest of the goodies (seals, gaskets, bearings, etc.). Thanks everyone for your advice!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:40 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I've learned very quickly that Porsche engine hard parts are $$$$$ !! Plus the fact the engine is already apart is a huge issue. 'Just needing a crank' is just a stairstep to other hard parts that are probably need replaceing Not to mention it's not the OE engine. I think that someone else gave up on this project because the repair cost may equal or exceed the market value.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good used 3.2 crank is easily over $1000. If the car is priced right you might be able to make some money parting out the motor and selling the transmission and "roller". A "fixer upper" is one of the most expensive ways to get a 911.
-Chris
Old 11-04-2004, 09:18 AM
4re308
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi there, I too have a 944 and just got a 71 911T 2.2 its a very cool car, needs some work but will probably end up being my track/autocross/scary street car. I want to put a 2.7 in it and sell the good 2.2 in it.

Quick Reply: 944 guy wants to enter 911 world