Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Gauge Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:08 AM
carnutzzz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Gauge Question...

I know this is in my owner's manual, but that page was destroyed by water.

Stupid question:

After detailing my just purchased 87 911, I took it around the block. Still not insured or registered, so I have not driven it much at all.

The oil gauge (not oil pressure- that reads fine) needle never left the red zone at the bottom of the gauge. Does this gauge read temperature? Or quantity? Since the engine was cold I was guessing I might not be getting an accurate read, but I didn't want to keep driving if there was an oiling issue so I came right home. I drove 1 mile and never over 25 mph.

Is that proper gauge operation?

Sorry about this pathetic question-
Old 10-25-2004, 12:45 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

There are actually 3 "oil" gauges.... starting from left to right - which one do you mean? Also it'll help if you state the size of the cluster dial.

My bet is you are on the far left and it is the oil quantity gauge -- and the sender is broken as is usual for these.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:51 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to P-car ownership. There are no stupid questions. In reality, I think most of us have puzzled over your question at one time or another.

The OEL gauge measures the level in your oil tank. In my car, the only time I see it off of the bottom is when the car is at FULL operating Temperature (180+), on level ground, and idleing. Even then it takes about 10-30 secionds to register.

Be aware that a 911 has a true dry sump oiling system. You meaure the oil level in the tank. The only time you get a good reading is when the car is level, hot, and idling. When you are at these conditions, you can use the dipstick. If you do so before, you will mistakenly think your level is too low and will overfill your car. Many of us have experienced this event first hand. I suggest you use the "seach" button with the keywords oil and overfill. you will see youa re not the only one.

Anyhow, how about a picture? Also, be aware that the car is lot more fun at higher speeds and revs.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:23 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Harry's right,

With the engine cold the oil is in the engine not in the tank - your oil level gauge will always be either in the red or just off it even when hot. The only time the level rises above this is at idle or if cruising real light on the throttle. If the gauge fails to register when the car is hot check the dipstick, the difference between a max gauge and no reading is only a couple of pints or so. If the dipstick reads half or over between the markers and still no reading it is likely the gauge or float unit in the tank is faulty.

Good luck sorting it out.

PJC
Old 10-25-2004, 05:59 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Carntutzz,
As previously stated, welcome and there are not stupid questions. We have all been in your shoes at some point. Oil in 911's (even my 9966TT) is measured at operating temperature and at idle. The dash oil level gauge" is (1) only a rough guide and (2) notoriously inaccurate. Oil level must be measured at operating temp, at idle with the **dipstick**. Careful when reinstalling the dipstick to get back in the holder and not drop it into the tank. BTW, oil is in both the tank and engine with the car cold and parked. How else could one drain the 5-6 quarts of oil from tank during an oil change. The oil in the cooling coil and hoses is separated from the motor by a thermostat and it does not drain during an oil change. Oil expands as it heats and thus changes your level.
regards and never hesitate to ask any question.
Steve

Last edited by rbcsaver; 10-26-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:41 PM
carnutzzz
Intermediate

Thanks a lot guys for the support!

Took her for an extended cruise tonight through the neighborhood and all is well- she just needed to heat up.

I took some pictures tonight and will try to get some up tomorrow with a little about me and the car.

Looking forward to chatting with you guys, learning something, and maybe meeting at a future event.

Take care...

Quick Reply: Oil Gauge Question...