Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newbie 911 Buyer...looking at an '84..advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:32 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Newbie 911 Buyer...looking at an '84..advice?

Hi,

I am considering buying my first Porsche. I am looking at a 1984
Carrera coupe, California car. 130k (speedo repaired & rolled so odometer currently says 70k). Exterior paint/body in great shape. Interior needs some,
work--new dashboard, rear deck. New speakers/stero. Owner has done regular tuneups 2x year. Apparently clutch replaced in last 3 years, driving it was tough - it seemed to take some getting used to, which I see is typical for this model reading other posts. Any idea what this car is worth? Owner is asking somewhere in the range of 11k-13k. At what price is this car a great deal ? This seems to be a good model year to get (browsing other posts.)
Old 10-14-2004, 02:31 AM
umfan866
Racer

Forgot to mention--the A/C didn't really work, was hardly cold. I see in other posts that this is typical of this model also. There was also a small rip in
the ceiling material and so the whole ceiling material might need to be replaced. Otherwise this sounds like a good deal reading the "Where
are Carrera Prices Headed" forum.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:17 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seller's price is in the right ballpark, though for that mileage and the repairs needed you should aim for the lower end of the scale.

Emanuel
Old 10-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It sounds almost like the car that I ended up buying, same year and similar condition (though mine only has 100K miles). The terms "first 911" & "hard to shift" seem to go together quite often for some reason. Even new, it wouldn't have shifted like say a Mustang or even a Toyota truck. It is different, more like an old bug or ghia. Anyway, the price sounds correct IF it passes a PPI.
Replacing the headliner will cost a couple hundred or so (need to remove the glass) unless you can do it yourself. Replacing the daash is an expensive project (glass needs to come out as well, so do it while replacing the headliner to save $$). Figure on spending ~$300 (or more!) on a used dash. Don't bother with the plastic glue on covers, they are crap. Rear deck recover/replacement is simple. A brand new one is less than $300, & a DIY recover is much less.
Good luck.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:28 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

As above. The price is right so shoot for the lower end.

Ian
Old 10-14-2004, 05:08 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

PPI will tell you whether there is a problem with the driving... these cars are quirky to drive until you get used to them.

Also, what color is the interior ....if it is black, or beige it will be easier to find replacements than if it is some unusual color.

Is it a full leather interior? Look at the dash. You can clearly feel if it is leather, and the cover will be stiched across the width of the top. Leather cover on these dashs shrink, typically this pulls the leather out of the airvents, and curls up the corners.... this will be more expensive if you want to keep it leather.... you can replace it with a regular dash.... these look ok as long as the color matches.... if the leather is really bad, you can try taking it off... the dash underneath may be ok... if you are going to replace it anyway, you have nothing to lose.... may save you a few bucks. I did this on my SC, I assume the Carrara is the same way.

Ditor the rear deck... these also have problems with shrinkage warping the panel... again leather is a bit pricier to replace.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:40 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Price seems right. Go for it man.... Get a PPI and if everything checks.... I love 80's Carreras
Old 10-14-2004, 11:28 PM
umfan866
Racer

Thanks guys. The interior is navy blue and both the dash and rear deck is blue leather. I guess the heat really beat down on the leather and warped it. The owner told me it would probably cost more
than $1k to repair the interior. For the car, he wants more like between 12-13 upon further discussion, and he may also just keep it as a 2nd car. Yep the clutch probably just takes some getting used to, no problem. Hmmm...this is tough. I am not really a DIY guy for non-electronics
so I would need to pay to get it all fixed up, and so my total price would be 13-14. There are also a number of 87,88's, and 89's locally that go for 18-20...but then you get the nicer G50 gearbox and some of the them look in great shape.. perhap overall a better value for the money. Ok well thanks
everyone for the advice... I am just starting to look so this is good info. Thks Marv
Old 10-14-2004, 11:52 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the G50 isnt worth the extra $ IMO, a 915 shifts fine when you know how to drive a stick. leather can be an expensive repair if you want to be original.

Price is right, maybe even a little low if its never been hit, nice outside and mechanicaly, Carrera motronic injection is fairly trouble free and fairly easy to repair, but do get a PPI as major mechanical stuff is expensive
Old 10-15-2004, 12:07 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When you start pushing $15k, you can get some pretty nice cars that don't need much.... headliner, dash, rear deck, (probably a new winshield while you have it out)... odds and ends, and $2K is probably more realistic for the interior repairs....

Also, check the anodizing on the wheels... most of these cars, the annodizing is starting to fade... its about $150+ a wheel to redo... little things but they add up..
Old 10-15-2004, 01:14 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
the G50 isnt worth the extra $ IMO, a 915 shifts fine when you know how to drive a stick.
I'll 100% disagree with you here... and I know how to drive a stick...

Price is right, maybe even a little low if its never been hit, nice outside and mechanicaly, Carrera motronic injection is fairly trouble free and fairly easy to repair, but do get a PPI as major mechanical stuff is expensive
But I'll 100% agree with you here....
Old 10-15-2004, 02:08 PM
umfan866
Racer

I know how to drive a stick myself..my '86 325 also has a clutch that takes some getting used to. When I drove it, had to really let it out slowly for 1st,
and then kept having trouble finding 2nd. BUt the owner knew how to drive
it of course and so it probably just takes some time.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:09 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

I'll 100% disagree with you here... and I know how to drive a stick...
The G50 is a better box period, no arguement there, but I dont think its that much better, to pay a few thousand more for a car with one, if you find car you like with a 915 that the owner treated the box like he should have is what I meant
Old 10-16-2004, 05:13 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

The G50 is a better box period, no arguement there, but I dont think its that much better, to pay a few thousand more for a car with one, if you find car you like with a 915 that the owner treated the box like he should have is what I meant
And in total cost of ownership - when you go to sell you will recoup the money given that the G-50 cars command a premium. If you never sell, then yes, it will cost you more - but how many threads have you seen that start with "I can't get my G-50 into 1st, or "Can't get my G-50 into 3rd at high revs"

That being said - it was worth it for me.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:31 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by g-50cab
but how many threads have you seen that start with "I can't get my G-50 into 1st, or "Can't get my G-50 into 3rd at high revs"

That being said - it was worth it for me.
Touchet!

Quick Reply: Newbie 911 Buyer...looking at an '84..advice?