Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1988 cab questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
That's what I was thinking - $26-$28 - sorry no coupes (unless it's a Turbo)
Jeremy: Your car is quite nice. If you do get to the point of selling, I'd start pretty high (around $30k) and then drop a bit to the range we thought above if you have to (though I don't know the market in FL). With those other posts lately of G-50's cabs being priced at or around $30k, I'd think you'd get a pretty good price with those low (realistic and not babied) miles, perfect colors (IMO anyway!) and excellent condition.

Regards,

Jay
Old 10-22-2004, 11:21 AM
realtime
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a '87 Cab owner Im am happy to hear these prices. In 2001 my car was appraised (ins. purposes) at $29.9k -I had just detailed the car and it was pristine in appearance. In 2003 the same individial appraised it at $19.9k but I didn't detail it or even wax it recently- just drove it to the meeting. The appraiser stated that the market (in 2003) was "soft" but even so I felt that was way too low and told him so ;-) I tossed out that appraisal and retained the replacement value coverage at the initial appraisal price.

Honestly I do not think my car (w/ 111k) is worth more than $25k-ish but if I were to sell I would time it right (spring / early summer) and detail the devil out of it! I'd be happy to get >$26. Im the 4th owner. Mechanically its a 9 with lots of up-grades incl. turbo-tie rods, 4 brand new SO-3 tires, aligned and corner balanced and properly lowered all w/in the last month, Bilstien Sports, sport motor mounts and camber truss. rebuilt trans and new clutch about 4k ago. - it drives like its on rails - really tight for a cab esp. when the roll bar is in place (I do occasional *gentle* DEs w/ the car). Cosmetics a 8.5 except it needs a new top (worn but OK- it doesnt match the rest of the car in appearance - but I dont have the top up much!) The orig. cond. tonneau cover makes the car look like its 1 or 2 years old not 17 and people are amazed at its age (unknowing non-Porsche folks)! There's a certain degree of satisfaction when you know a car this age looks that good.

The 993's are in the $30k ranges and as Bruce A. always says- "buy the newest quality car you can" so I would be more inclined to put $30+ into a decent 993 than a pristine g-50 car - but I buy to drive it not show it!

Its amazing the fluctuations and variations in prices of these MYs over time and across regions. I think the Excellence article (a few mos. ago) touting them as in demand and good cars has helped inflate / retain values and prices.

Dan

Quick Reply: 1988 cab questions