911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 03:25 PM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Beams

My turn signal switch is defective, and needs replacement. It is causing my high beams to come on and off by themselves when the low beams are on. Since I never use the high beams anyway, is there a way to disable the high beams so this doesn't happen rather than me having to replace the entire turn signal switch?

(The car is an 86' 911)

Thanks
Old 10-18-2004, 03:53 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hi beams are fused seperately from the low and eachother, so you can find the two fuses and remove them. That will do waht you want at least until the rest of the switch goes.
When you finally do replace it, I strongly suggest you upgrade to relays for the lights to take the strain off the switch.

If you are mechanically incluned, you can effect repairs to the contact in the switch, but you have to get at it first. Depends if you re willing to do that.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:53 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replace the switch. It costs about $80 from Vertex or your favorite parts house and takes about an hour to replace. It is an easy job...

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2004, 06:28 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second Degaunt,
Do the switch change and install the relays. Not an expensive project and much can be found on the subject in the archives here and Pelican parts. Without the relays, you'll just fry another switch. It is also a project on my list.
regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: High Beams