Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newbie 911 Buyer...looking at an '84..advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 04:13 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JCP911S

Did you say that if the leather is removed from the dash below it might be a shiny new black
dash? Same for rear deck? You did this & it worked...is there any special tricks? The current
owner may decided to keep the car and I was telling him about what you posted...
Old 10-21-2004, 03:53 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the shrinkage problem with my 78 SC with full leather. It was really horible looking. Becasue it is a race-car, I wasn;t too concerned about cosmetics, but I figured anything was betther than dried out rotton leather hanging in pieces... so I cut it off, and voila, there was a standard black vynal dash underneath.

Since my car had black interior, I don't know whether all leather covered ones are black, or whether they are matched to the interior beforehand.... also they may have changed how they do things in the Carraras, but generally, Porsche only changes stuff for functional reasons, so I'd bet they didn't

Like I said, if you are going to replace the dash anyway, nothing to lose... won;t guarantee the results
Old 10-21-2004, 08:26 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Washington (DC) area, actual selling prices seem to always be more than Kelly Blue Book sometimes nudging close to NADA retail especially on the 84-89 911's with the right color /options. I think (as in any purchase) that do lots of research and buy the most car you can possibly afford. If you are looking in the 13-14K range you'd be suprised at how much better car you can buy if you can get to 17-18K
Old 10-24-2004, 02:40 PM
tyler
Advanced

you don't want to mess with pulling out the glass....the rubber window trim from SFI or other parts suppliers are crappy at best. best to find a car with this kind of work not needed unless reparing headliners is your hobby....going to have to get someone to put in your new headliner

sounds like owner is backing out of deal on your last post...tell him thanks but no thanks and keep looking for another, one will come along

trust me, and the others who have bought many 911's, they are tempting to buy but usually you wish you would have held out and kept looking for just the right one...when you find that, buy that one and pay a grand or two more...you will be much happier
Old 10-24-2004, 03:46 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

From personal experience there will always be another car. Between Ebay, Autotraderonline and a host of other web sources that put buyers and sellers together the best thing is to wait, look and research. I gaurantee that for every 'I have to have this very car' that there will be a better, cheaper. lower mileage unit just around the next corner. Nothing is more satisfying than buying the right car at the right price and this takes patience.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:23 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I agree, I have seen a number of other examples of 911's just surfing around that are probably a better value. Why buy into someone else's problem's when the fixes are going to make it cost the same as a car in mint condition. I like the guy who said in some other thread: "All Porsche's are $20,000 Porsches --- if you buy one for less you will end up putting the money into it really easily". I think too that I was a little enamored with this one since it was the *first* 911 I have seriously looked at buying and the first one I ever drove so just being introduced to the car type itself was thrilling. I am going to try and save my money and buy a used Porsche when I can really afford one.
Ie maybe in a few years ... I have a 2 year old and one on the way... now is perhaps not the best time..esp living in San Francisco where the house mortgage is costing me over half my paycheck a month!

Quick Reply: Newbie 911 Buyer...looking at an '84..advice?