Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bought a '72 911S Euro. How'd I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 08:17 PM
achtung Englander
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres the situation Georgio,
What happened to me happened, no excuses nothing else at all, it happened.
I was with my young son at the time and just trying to leave the country, I wasn't speeding, I hadn't broken any laws, I was stopped just before the tunnel to France. A Carabinieri officer made me pull over to the side and both me and my son get out of the car. He demanded the papers I had, insurance, title, etc., (the car was registered in Rome where I had bought it)
He went through all of the paperwork and he told me that because I was missing a particular stamp (which was apparently now outdated on my form) that he was going to call a tow truck and have the car taken away and crushed, this he kept repeating. Not understanding what was wrong with the papers my son and I both tried to convince this particular fellow that the car would be leaving Italy and never returning. He kept insisting that the car would be taken away and crushed. He searched the car going through my bags and belongings.
We kept telling him that we had paid an Italian Lawyer and had the registration transferred correctly via an agency in Rome.
This didn't have any effect whatsoever until he said "OK Mister what have you got for a poor policeman?"
I didn't grasp his meaning straight away but my son who was 10 at the time did.
"He wants you to give him something Daddy"
I told him that I had no money as we had spent it all in order not to take any currency home with us to England.
He settled for T shirts and a hat and after this we were allowed to carry on our way unhindered.
That is what happened plain and simple, no excuses no retractions.
That I feel was wrong, he was after all a representative of the Carabinieri, the only contact I had with his force and based on his attitude and behavior I am naturally to make my own judgements.
What would you have done in my position, demanded to speak to his superiors? No, I don't speak Italian and had no interest in trying to play my words against a policeman, after all they may have towed away my car, I didn't know what was wrong with the papers, what if they had crushed it?
That the Carabinieri are an elite force in Italy is not disputed, but that one bad apple, the man I met, would leave a foul taste in the mouth of any foreigner,including me and thereby impugning the reputation of all of the rest of the force he represented. That's a fair assesment isn't it?
I wrote what I felt and my opinion was based on my personal experience. You make comments against the US which are wholly based on your assesments, I spiritedly do the same, I feel your comments are more than without justification, they are just the typical European whining and name calling.
I felt badly used by the force that were guarding your borders and base my judgements on how I was treated, if the car was really "illegal" it should never have been allowed to leave plain and simple.
I was as surprised by what had happened as I was by the seller of the cars answer when I told him what had occurred later that evening.
In my opinion his behaviour was without excuse and my anger towards him and his actions cloud my views of the Carabinieri.
If you seriously wish to address this matter in a proper and lawful way I will be happy to respond to any Legal authority wishing to investigate this situation to the letter of the law.
Have them PM me and I will reply.

Last edited by achtung Englander; 10-16-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:28 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I thought you went away Pedro? I didn't think you'd be on here since you "resigned" your membership to Rennlist, If we're so bad and arrogant, why are you coming back and feeding our arrogance? Why not just ignore our arrogant asses? or is it that Italian pride that has you running your mouth off?

dude WTF is your problem, EVERY police agency has crooked cops, political figures, officials at ALL levels and once again yours is no exception. I see issues in the headlines all the time about your corrupt government, infact GOOGLE is filled with pages of results on this (no surprise).

So if you think it will do good for the obiviously fragile ego of Italians, and all of Italy, to file a complaint on someone (better get us all that have posted on this thread for a conspiracy to defame Italys WONDERFUL reputation of its law enforcement) half a world away for what was said as a complete joke on a website for Porsche enthusiasts and have him (and us) arrested and deported to Italy to stand trial on (what grounds again?)....., go ahead and do so. I guarantee you they will just laugh at you as the rest of us are here.

Your a complete wacko. Or in AMERICA as we say: A F*ckin So **** OFF!
Old 10-16-2004, 09:49 PM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

"Hell I laugh at the fact that our politicans are corupt, everyone knows it, and they do it anyway! I've travled to all sorts of places and countries and America IS THE BEST DAMN COUNTRY IN THE WORLD PERIOD. If you dont think so then your free to go.

And as far as you saying us Americans cause problems with the rest of the world and try to make other countries more "like america" when infact we HAVE to police most of the world as countries as small as yours can't do it alone. Somebody has to be the father, thats us, most of us dont want the job, but it has to be done none the less."

Thats gone too far....Lets assume this forum has many non-American.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:41 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

I think I hit the nail on the head, for the last 90 years we have been bailing the entire world out of messes, WWI, WWII, Vietnam we bailed out the french, Korea, Desert Storm, Somalia and countless other small battles around the globe that werent wars and were "military actions" like vietnam was, what other country is going to do it? the only other country that is even close in man power and technology is the UK.

When your on top, your always a target for someone, its the nature of the position.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:02 AM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, if you say so, let it be that way to you. I wont argue but if you study little bit on Korean war and Vietnam war, it might change your oppinion.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:47 AM
Zeke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't visited here in a while. Been a few months except for the 356 board. Does this stuff go on regularly? No moderators here?

Hey, guy with the $6000 S, I have the one where he said I might throw in the towel. Yours is nicer as far as rust is concerned. the front fender is toast. Trust me. And, if you want to sell the damaged 6 x 15 Fuchs, email me thru this board.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:31 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Ive studied plenty in history and history of asia in particular, we bailed out the french in vietnam since they couldn't handle it, and korea was another "military action" to save the world from the red scare.

No this board is never like this, just every once in a while

Quick Reply: Bought a '72 911S Euro. How'd I do?