Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bought a '72 911S Euro. How'd I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 12:59 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Georgio... to diverge even more off point, all these stories are annecdotal... I have no reason not to believe Achtungs first hand account.... ok, let me be more careful with my words... the fact that SOME Italian police MAY be corrupt does not in my mind reflect on America one way or another

Nor do I accept your statement that 99% of the world hates America.... if you want to be precise, that may or may not be true... but I doubt you have any factual basis for quantifying that.... you say you love America, but are happy to engage in just the same general, misdirected name-calling that you incorrectly accuse me of...

None of these annecdotes are intended to imply that Italy is inherently more currupt or lawless than America... i never head anybody make that statement... we did get on the topic of registering and exporting cars from Italy, and surprise, surprise, several people recounted experiences about that... Italy has certainly gone thorugh some hard times...if you spend time in Cleveland, you certainly know that all countries have problems.... I remember more than a few stripped cars there too....

If you have credible information that these experiences are totally atypical, share that with us... I;m sure everybody on this board would be interested in learing something....

By the way for our European friends, "Stole it" is an Americal idiom for "Purchased it lawfully at well below market value...."

Reading back over this thread, I don;t recall anybody saying anything like "Americal is better than Italy..."

Personally, it would not surprise me one bit to hear that a San Fancisco Police officer solicited a bribe (although I might be surprised if a Norwegian or Swedish one did....). Some annecdotes are more believeable than others.... that may indicate some foundation of truth....Anybody who belives Americal Law Enforcement does not operate protection rackets has never recieved a speeding ticket.... speeding... car registration... same game, different paperwork.... this was never the point

I do not accept your assertion that all Americans are arrogant and unpopular.... I do suspect some of our politicians may be arogant and increasingly unpopular.... we'll find out in a few weeks.

When I say "get a life".... well what I really meant is that "you should get a life".... not that all Italians should.... seems to me most of them have done pretty well in that area.... if memory serves me, we were talking about helping some guy restore his Porsche, and somebody decided that was a referendum on global politics.... I stand on my advice
Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

L8... sorry your thread got hijacked... once in a while some people just p*ss me off
Old 10-11-2004, 07:44 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

the Italian police are corrupt maybe, but cannot match the police in New Orleans or Chicago

It seems clear that this car is the secret James Bondmobile -- the one so secret it has never been seen in any of the movies.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:17 AM
achtung Englander
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never mind!
Old 10-13-2004, 12:35 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Jason,

If you repair the dash you will keep the correct speaker grill insert but if you buy a new one it will have the speaker holes cut into the top of the dash. Depends on what look you want.

You will actually need the services of both Eurometrix (for the trottle body and linkage rebuild) and Pacific Fuel Injection for the pump rebuild. So for now leave the carbs on and have fun.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:46 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pedro Rodriguez 917
I take personal offence on your words. A stolen car may and will go unnoticed and unchecked in the US and not in Italy, because we have a far more advanced informatic support to our registered cars database.
Will you wake up one day and realize that the world is changing and maybe overtaking you guys?
I don't want to go off-topic too much but this type of mental attitude is the precise reason why the US have become so umpopular everywhere in the world. It's called ARROGANCE.
Finally I'd like to inform you that UK cars have the driving wheel on the right side of the car as they drive on the left side of the road, so that would have certainly caused some suspicion anywhere, even in the US...
I also find it very very difficult to believe what another member said about him bribing a police officer (which makes him incidentally just as guilty as the bribed person). If he stands up to his words I am prepared to report this case to the Italian "Autorità Giudiziaria". This is serious guys. We must not make this type of posts unless you're very sure about what you're saying and prepared to stand behind that. Just imagine the opposite, like someone here saying that he bribed an officer in San Francisco...but this is of course just an example

I'm signing this post with my real name.

Giorgio Alberti
Damn, see what happens when I dont check my posts, OK first off

I meant no disrespect, and apolligize that you were offended but you have gone off the deep end and blown this far beyond what it was, a simple statement, All i meant was if a old rusty 911 was stolen in GB and driven into Italy, nobody would notice such a car and the police surely have better things to do then check the VINs of all old rusty Porsches, that was all.

And I know that cars in the UK have the wheel on the right, I also know that those cars were very hard to obtain in UK dealers and many were subsequently shipped accross the channel.

and cops in all countries take bribes, ours do and face it, yours do too. another member was making a joke, everyone else obiviously got it,

Hell I laugh at the fact that our politicans are corupt, everyone knows it, and they do it anyway! I've travled to all sorts of places and countries and America IS THE BEST DAMN COUNTRY IN THE WORLD PERIOD. If you dont think so then your free to go.

And as far as you saying us Americans cause problems with the rest of the world and try to make other countries more "like america" when infact we HAVE to police most of the world as countries as small as yours can't do it alone. Somebody has to be the father, thats us, most of us dont want the job, but it has to be done none the less.
Hmmm, If I remember correctly (correct me if I'm wrong) a certain country shaped like a boot joined "forces" with another european country about 60 or so years ago to push thier "views" on certain issues to try and change the world to "do the world a little bit of good" as a sick few would see it.
But those countries had the best intentions huh?

So if you want to come on here and start blasting people for no real reason other than a simple misconception on your behalf, and you want to get all fussy for no reason and say your resigning from Rennlist, you will not be missed and right now you sound like the rude and arrogant one here
Old 10-15-2004, 01:54 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L8 Apex
I've always pictured the stereotypical "Tuscan" landscape, not one littered with jacked cars! The same thing probably happens in L.A. or East St. Louis (a little closer to me),
Hey! I live in L.A. and you have offended me sir, I challenge you to a duel. Shall it be pistols at dwan or swords at sunset? and im leaving this site and reporting you to the proper authorities (L.A. PD? HAHAHA) these words aren't taken lightly.

Originally Posted by L8 Apex
Some would argue that the previous owner did "steal" it since he only paid $4,000 U.S. for it! Not sure how $4,000 1983 dollars equate in 2004 dollars, especially since the dollar is weaker nowadays, but I would think that would be a heck of a deal
Is that $4K dollars U.S. or $4K U.S. after Regans inflation factor?

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE THE RENNLIST BOARDS!
Old 10-15-2004, 11:42 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

FIxn... in SoCal.... i'd suggest breast implants at thirty paces....
Old 10-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Pedro Rodriguez 917
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
America IS THE BEST DAMN COUNTRY IN THE WORLD PERIOD.
infact we HAVE to police most of the world as countries as small as yours can't do it alone. Somebody has to be the father, thats us,
No comment really. I pity you
Old 10-15-2004, 05:55 PM
L8 Apex
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"So I am "resigning" from this site and will not come back again here." - Giorigio Alberti

Now there's a man of his word.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:26 PM
achtung Englander
Advanced

Well I have to respond here really, as I made the comments.oops!
.......Giorgio, I stand by my words, it happened, plain and simple.
But just a comment here....If you want to go around throwing out your chest and getting pissed off at Americans and the US in general over my words I suggest you read my name in the post...Achtung Englander,,,there's a clue there.
Yep I'm English and your hot tempered retaliation against America was wrong wasn't it?
........Will you now be cutting diplomatic ties with England too? and er do you speak for the whole of Italy? Just wondered.... as I particularly enjoyed the warm hospitality I enjoyed with my son at the Ferrari works in Modena

Last edited by achtung Englander; 10-16-2004 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:38 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

WOW !!!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:22 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I would just like to know -- who here is over 16?
Old 10-16-2004, 04:00 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

i turn 17 next week.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Pedro Rodriguez 917
Cruisin'

Hi Englander,
first of all let me say that I'm still here because everyone keeps writing to me, but I will not participate in other threads.
I'm not so concerned about those little Rambos who would send the Marines to "liberate" Europe every 10 years if they could.
I'm concerned about you, Mr. Englishman. Your description of the Carabinieri Force

Originally Posted by achtung Englander
Italian Carabiniere, a bunch of armed police who like to take bribes.
is not only false and hateful, but really undeserved. The Carabinieri are one of the oldest and most glorious forces of the Army. They have distinguished themselves in countless battles and given their lifes for the Country.
Most recently they were explicitely required by Bush as the Italian force thet should go to Iraq in that disgraceful war. They went there, tried to help the local population and suffered dozens of casualties during a terrorist attack to their base in Nassyria.
Even Bush was said to have cried that night.
So, even if one Carabiniere were unworthy of his uniform, your words are totally out of place.
This is why I was and am outraged by your words

As for you description of the facts
"They stopped me within 100ft of the border with France, they told me that they were going to take the car away and crush it because the owner had failed to have the stamp put on the right page. Suggesting a "Back hander" " for a poor policeman mister" I paid up "

I have shown it to a friend of mine who is an ex-Officer of the Carabinieri force.
He was absolutely disgusted and suggested that I file a report to the Judicial Authority. He said that your words are a plain confession of a crime. According to the Italian and the American law, the briber is as guilty as the bribed.
I will file the report on Monday.
Since 9/11 and the Iraqui war, Italy has had a special commnunication channel with the FBI.
So they may catch you or not, but at least they'll make sure you don't come again to Italy or if you do, you will feel like they can track you down at any time.

Now, if you are so proud of your deeds and stand by them, why don't you pm me your real name and address? That wiould speed up the whole process and you will have a 'professional" stage to expose your reasons.
Let's see who's got the ***** here. Regards, Giorgio

Quick Reply: Bought a '72 911S Euro. How'd I do?