Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where are Carrera prices going these days?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 05:36 PM
427grips
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are Carrera prices going these days?

Where are Carrera prices going these days? I just saw an 1988 Coupe red/tan auction upto $24k,,,,the car had only 35k miles. Didn't sell cause it didn't meet reserve. Nice car!! why didn't it sell for higher.

Are 3.2 car prices sliding lower?? When will they plateau?? What gives??

RMS
Old 10-06-2004, 11:30 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i think they have kind of settled down and have no where to go but up for nice cars due to the fiasco that was the 996 and the 997 has a redesigned wraper, all 993 and earlier cars just seem to be in a holding patern and should go up. hell a nice 98 993 is worth more than a 2000 996. and a boxster is so cheap, a guy I work with has an 01 S thats been for sale now for months and its been at $25K for the last month or so and he STILL cant get rid of it. black on black with exhaust too.
I'm wondering what my super nice 3.2 will be worth with a new "best of everything" motor and trans and the car being completely sorted and put back to beter than factory condition, as I will need a value for Insurance incase something happens to it god forbid.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:54 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally I'm very bullish on the SC/Carrara...(no surprise)... they are starting to get a rep with legendary durability, and relatively inexpensive repairs (engines excepted, of course). I also think the build quality is in another world compared to the new cars (as good as they are and as much as I like them).

Plus, they don't hardly make that kind no more....

Are they going to skyrocket early S style... probably not... there are too many of them.... are they going to depriciate... probably not... demand is firm and the stock ever dwindling.

It is relatively easy to keep these cars in good condition... I suspect a car in similar condition will be worth in 4 years what it is worth today. Effectively it is a free car... gas, oil, insurance and the odd $1,000 here and there, and drive it all day long.

High teens to mid twenties is a reasonable range with $2-3K premium for a G50 car (which is way too much In my not so humble opinion). 915 is a great transmission once you learn to shift it.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:47 PM
art
Pro

If you look at the SC market over the past 10 years, I think you could assumet he Carrera market will do similar things over the next 10 years.

The SCs were 78-83 and the Carreras were 84-89 ( I think), so they should lag by apprx 5 years in general terms, but once they gain a separate from used car status like the SCs did they will perform as a near collectible like the SCs are. People are now looking at SCs either as cheap track cars, or as inexpensive collector cars depending on condition. Carreras are starting to fall into affordable territory and many will buy them for that reason. The weak will get fixed up, the rats will get raced or parted and the really good ones will be collectible. The prices will most likely stay with inflation, but not experience any extreme up or down moves. If they do go down during some lull in interest they are sure to come back when people 'discover' them. This is what has happened to early 911s once people realized they could build really fun lightweights with them. Same with 944 turbos once people realized what good cars they were and what potential they had.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:56 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I think they're going to go up, eventually. But I think they're going to continue to drop for a few years, still.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:15 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the rest of the country (particularly CA), but on the east coast, a G-50 w/ 35K mi. in excellent condition will easily command a price in the mid to upper 20s. IMO, they've already stabalized at that range, but as usual...time will tell.

Keith
Old 10-07-2004, 03:19 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 427grips
Where are Carrera prices going these days? I just saw an 1988 Coupe red/tan auction upto $24k,,,,the car had only 35k miles. Didn't sell cause it didn't meet reserve. Nice car!! why didn't it sell for higher.

Are 3.2 car prices sliding lower?? When will they plateau?? What gives??

RMS
A follow up...it WILL sell for higher imo...at least it would on the east coast.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:48 PM
jet911
Pro

In the Rocky Mountain area, at least in SLC, the prices are and have been stable. Not many SCs or Carreras for sale. I saw an '84 with 56K listed recently for $21K, an '88 with 64K for $27K and an '89 with 110K for $20K. IMO as the economy goes so do the prices of these cars.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my area (WI), any 3.2 will sell very quickly and prices seem to be increasing just a bit from the 2002-03 lows we were seeing. There are so few used cars to choose from in my area, so the good stuff goes quick...
Old 10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Currently I own a low mileage 86 carrera cabriolet. Previous to this I owned a 1960 356 roadster which I owned for 8 years and is the only car I have ever owned that I sold for more than I paid for it. If you look at the prices for the speedsters, roadsters, cabriolets, and convertible d's of the 356 era you can see that the rag tops sell at a premium over the rest of the models. Considering that porsche did not build a rag top from 1966-1982 I believe that the single year of the sc cab and the 84-89 cabs will continue to rise faster than the rest of the models. However condition and mileage will always determine value. Thanks, Curt
Old 10-08-2004, 04:14 PM
gerry100
Pro

There is a lot of cross currents at this point-

- We are coming off a buyers market into more of a sellers market as the economy improves
- The Carrera's are getting older so the deductions for needed rpeairs will get greater vs the low mileage perfect example, which will become fewer.
- the 3.2s need to get discovered and differentiated in the public' smind.

Beside the unique and wonderful 911 characteristics, the 3.2 are in a sweet spot because they have rerspectable power ( 6.1 to 60), have the advantages of a relaible Fuel injection an delectronic ignition while still being simple enough for the DIYr to tune, trouble shoot and do simple fixes ( try checking the oil on a 996 turbo sometime). Power and handling can be upgraded relatively cheaply ineccessary.Scheduled maintenance is cheaper, if you can't do the valves then it's $200. I believe scheduled maintenance cost increases significantly with every model change.

I think that prices will rise with time as these attributes are recognized.

I hope I'm right as my 993 money is going intop a top end and tranny rebuild for my '86. I don't feel bad about it, as I think I'll have the car for a long time.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:29 AM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd like to be optimistic about Carrera values, particularly the thought about the Cabrio, as I own one. However, I've wondered about how the Boxster compete againsts the older 911in value. I know we purists may not see the Boxster as an entirely satisfactory alternative to the 911, but how many purists are in the market, versus those who merely want a Porsche convertable, and a more "modern" one at that? Just my $0.02.

Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
Old 10-09-2004, 01:28 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Sadly, I see the Boxster as a modern day version of the 914. yes, it is a Porsche, but there are far better alternatives if you are considering anything except model year and dollars spent for a German sports car. I have seen many more Boxsters for sale than Carreras over the past 6-10 months. I was fortunate to locate my 84 coupe right here on the Rennlist classifieds. It was a great car with only 99K miles and the typical $450 worth of used Porsche repairs needed. I drove only 1 other car that was even close to worth having and the price was about $4K more than what I paid for mine, not to mention it wasn't in as nice of condition and the history was questionable at best.
The bottom line (IMO) is that a decent carrera coupe with even minimal maintenance history will command $14,000 here in CA. Obviously fewer miles and more records will drive the price up accordingly.
For what it is worth, when my previous 911 (74 coupe) was totalled (nearly 5 years ago) I received a couple hundred more from the insurance than I just paid for my 84 (3 months ago). Go figure.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:09 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

I have been looking for a nice, low mile, 86' or later Carrera cab for a friend. Not much to choose from now. Last year there seemed to be quite a few for sale all the time. I don't plan on making any money as my 86, won't be sold, yet it's nice to know it's still worth almost what I paid originally.
I don't think the G-50 cars are carrying any large premium, they are just newer. An 89' is worth more than a 88', and so on down all the 3.2 Carrera years.

I do see alot of crap out there for sale!
Old 10-12-2004, 01:27 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortuanely, I suspect Boxster prices will continue to depreciate for a while... probably stabilizing in the mid teens... they are wonderful cars, and a steal compared with a new Miata, but not a store of value the way a 3.2 would be... this is a totally different buying decision.

Quick Reply: Where are Carrera prices going these days?