Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Q: high octane in YOUR state?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Around Fresno, it's common to find 92 or 93 octane pumps at ordinary prices. I had a supercharger fitted by <a href="http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com" target="_blank">www.whipplesuperchargers.com</a> in Fresno and I still have trouble running 91 (aka water) with the blower.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really? Is it brand specific or everywhere? Maybe things change for the better once you are in Central or Northern California.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I don't remember the brands (they're different from the SF Bay Area) things like Circle K or whatever, but they're not obscure or hidden away, I filled on the interstate (99?) heading to Vegas from Fresno and I remember being told by the people at Whipple Superchargers there was one particular brand they recommended. I have to call them (the truck needs a service) I'll make a note to ask which brands carry better than 91RON.

Cheers,
Old 04-12-2003, 03:39 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Bob Prosser:
<strong>To make the high octane list* complete, it'd be great to hear from someone in:

Alaska
Hawaii
Iowa
Kansas
Maine
Minnesota
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Wyoming

ARE there any 911s in North Dakota?

Thanks to all.

Regards,
Bob

* <a href="http://www.autoworldmarketing.com/octane.htm" target="_blank">www.autoworldmarketing.com/octane.htm</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hi Bob:

Paul gave you the premium octane offerings here in Oregon; 92, but I'll also chime in for Montana. 91 octane is the best you find there.

Since context is everything, please keep in mind that as local altitude increases, octane requirements decrease as the air gets thinner and the engine gets less oxygen. The Mountain states typically carry no more than 91, and unless one drives a forced induction car, that usually does OK.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:15 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

San Francisco water prices:

91 RON -- $2.40
100 RON -- $4.40

B A R G A I N ! ! !
Old 09-08-2003, 04:30 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

If you still want North Dakota, I can tell it too you, I'll check next time zi'm there for i have just moved back in for my second year at college, and my baby is back home in Cali.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

On the list I compiled I have North Dakota down as 92 octane. Is that right?

The state-by-state octane list is here: http://www.autoworldmarketing.com/octane.htm

-Bob

Last edited by Bob Prosser; 09-08-2003 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:13 PM
John Brandt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get 93 here in Ohio $1.89 / gal BP now
Sunoco has the 94

Cam2 is around a few places too
Old 09-08-2003, 05:44 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Bob Prosser
Really? Is it brand specific or everywhere? Maybe things change for the better once you are in Central or Northern California.
Bob,

I'm also wondering if it is an 'urban/rural' kind of thing. Since Fresno (Central Valley) probably doesn't have the same issues as Metro LA, San Diego or the Bay Area, they may have more flexibility in the fuels they can sell. Just like some stations in different regions have differing levels of vapor capture devices on the pump nozzles, and different requirements for routine smog checks of vehicles.

My wrench keeps telling me about a Unocal fairly near where I live which has race fuel (100+ octane is my guess). I have never seen the need so far, and my cars seem to run fine on Unocal 91. Just filled up the '87: A mere $40 fill at $2.22 a gallon! I guess I'm lucky, though, compared to San Fran. And my wife just came home from the Ventura area where any regular fuel was going from $2.10 and up. I used to enjoy those prices when I lived in Santa Barbara. I always had a theory that because Santa Barbara and its neighbors were such an 'environmentalist' pain to the oil companies, that these companies were going to do whatever they could to stick it to SB residents. For whatever reason, their prices continue to be some of the highest in the whole state.

Tom
Old 09-08-2003, 07:04 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

hey bob,
i heard a rumor that one/some of the private airports around san diego county will sell 100 octane gas. if you find out any specifics let me know, and i'll do some poking around myself. that would be nice, hmm?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm just a stones throw away from Palomar Airport. I'll find out. Better bring a big check book though -- av gas ain't cheap. -Bob