Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turbo Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 07:47 AM
1984911Carerra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Turbo Setup

I would like to convert my stock '84 911 (3.2) to run as a turbo. I would like to run a simple setup, but I have a few questions:

1.) What is the difference (power-wise) between a T4 and a T3?

2.) What would I need to run a simple setup?

3.) Would I be able to afford it for $1400 ( I would do my own install.)?
Old 11-04-2002, 10:47 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
It is not just as simple as bolting on a turbo. I'm not familiar with the 3.2 Carrera oil pump, but you'd want to make sure it has enough flow and capacity for a turbo application. My guess is NOT. Second, you'll need to plumb in the oiling for the turbo which will require a scavage pump since the turbo is lower than the oil return. If you use the Porsche part, you will need to modify the end of the left cam for the adapter drive. Also, the Air Flow Meter in a 3.2 Carrera is really really restrictive and probably won't be any good beyond 250hp. You'll also need to consider how much boost you are wanting to run. With the stock compression of a 3.2, it won't be much more than a few pounds, maybe as much as 5lbs

Then you need to worry about fuel requirements for on boost conditions. You'll need either a custom programmed chip for your motronic setup or some sort of aftermarket fuel enrichment or a complete aftermarket ECU.

A T3 is smaller than a T4. You need to be very careful about turbo sizing on a 911 since if it is too small, it will generate too much heat for the oil/air cooled engine. Depending on levels of boost <5 psi, you might be able to size a T4.

$1400, not a chance! You'd be better off and much happier putting a 3.6 964 engine in.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:12 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Or save even more money and get more hp with a 3.3 turbo. The only hard part is finding a stock 3.3 if that is what you want. They are almost all modified since it is easy to get big hp out of them while still passing emissions. Then you can start to think about which Garrett or KKK unit to run.

Quick Reply: Turbo Setup