Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where is your stereo amp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 06:55 PM
randlej
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where is your stereo amp?

I'm about to install an upgraded amp and diamond audio speakers in my 89 911. Wondering where the best amp location is. Have seen them under the hood near the AC access panel and under the passenger seat (where I had one in my old 911).

Pro's/con's, comments appreciated.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:20 PM
MAS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know where the best place for an amp is in a 911. But since I don't have AC, I had my amp mounted (professionally) in my smuggler's box. I've had it there for over 6 months now, and it seems to work just fine... no overheating or dampness. I had it mounted on a board that runs diagonally... also there is a built in splash guard to stop water accidentally spraying up through the vent holes).

-MAS
Old 08-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Ascari
4th Gear

Did you put in a subwoffer? If so where is a good place for it?
Im thinking about upgrading my sound system as well.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:46 PM
racer
Drifting

While I hate to tell my track buddies that I purposely added weight to my car...My amp is under the front trunk, centered, up at the "top" or by the windshield. I had a custom enclosure for the sub woofer, and that's located beding the drivers seat, rendering the back seat useless (but then again, my rollbar already helps me do that
Old 08-27-2004, 12:33 AM
MAS
Racer

Originally Posted by Ascari
Did you put in a subwoffer? If so where is a good place for it?
Im thinking about upgrading my sound system as well.
Hi Ascari... no I didn't put in a sub, but I do have a custom install of rear speakers that are mounted in the floor well behind the main front seats. However, a good place for a sub is the front trunk.

By the way, I recognize your car, I think, from the pictures taken at Gyro Park last summer? Wasn't the car for sale back then? Anyway, I was there too. I'm planning to go to the Euro meet too this Sunday at Queen Alexandria. Hope to see you there. I have the silver 77 targa.

-MAS
Old 08-27-2004, 06:49 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Hi Randle, I have mine mounted under the pass. seat, along with a couple of pancake fans for additional cooling. The amp has built in cooling fans, but I had a couple of these fans laying around so I installed them when I replaced the stereo that I got for Christmas, a Sony CDXM650, I really like it. My 2 10" subs are mounted in the rear, where the useless rear seats would be. I have no rear seats, but there is plenty of room for audio there, then I have the usual door speakers, Alpine, and the rear quarter panel speakers, Alpine also, sounds great. I did notice one very important thing after I replaced the stereo, my battery does not run down now. I used to have start it every 4-5 days or remove the battery ground, because the battery would be loosing power, now I can leave it over a month without starting it, and it might loose .3 or .4 volts over a month. I guess it was something wrong with the old stereo. I used to work in Austin, my "boss" was Bill Clements, but I lived in San Antonio.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I mounted my Rockford-Fosgate amp in the [empty] smuggler's box. There were conveniently located holes, with plastic plugs which I converted to grommet-duty, which served to route the wiring.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:27 AM
dugsud
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAS
Hi Ascari... no I didn't put in a sub, but I do have a custom install of rear speakers that are mounted in the floor well behind the main front seats. However, a good place for a sub is the front trunk.

-MAS
I have thought about putting a sub in the front trunk but has anyone tried it?

I'm not sure if it would have the same effect as in the cabin!
Old 08-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Ascari
4th Gear

By the way, I recognize your car, I think, from the pictures taken at Gyro Park last summer? Wasn't the car for sale back then? Anyway, I was there too. I'm planning to go to the Euro meet too this Sunday at Queen Alexandria. Hope to see you there. I have the silver 77 targa.

-MAS[/QUOTE]

I just bought the car a few months ago but that picture i got from the previous owner. But ya im going to the Car show on sunday, ill look for a silver 77.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:00 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 channel amp is mounted under driver seat in my 74, but I also have my old one still in place under the passenger seat, just in case. For bass, I have a 6" cannon bungeed to the to the side of the luggage compartment pointed at the cabin...works great all the bass you'll ever need.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:00 PM
markweintraub
Intermediate

exactly where mine is -- in my 87 coupe. Amp under the pass seat --and a bazooka strapped in the luggage compartment.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:17 PM
KeithG
6th Gear

Default amp mounting

My 83 sc has the amp under the passenger floor board. It isplywood and comes out with one screw. There is plenty of space there.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:09 PM
randlej
Intermediate

Thanks All.

Quick Reply: Where is your stereo amp?