Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 06:49 PM
asr2003
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911SC Project

OK, I tried to do a search on this and couldn't find anything extremely relevant. I looked at an '81 911SC manual today that needs some work. It has approximately 120,000 miles. The paint looks original and is in great shape other than some fairly minor scratches. The interior is rough, and would probably need to be completely replaced, including the panels on the driver's door (the leather seats have water spots or something on them, almost as if the owner left the sunroof open for a long time). The interior doesn't bother me too much, because it's straightforward to me. I saw no rust at all on the car, even underneath. The engine compartment looks dirty, but outwardly appears to be in good shape. The car starts very very hard, though.

I have not driven the car yet, because the owner was not there at the time. What I'm trying to figure out is whether the car is worth getting and what would be a fair price. Assuming that the car drives fairly well after it's started, and compression and leakdown tests turn out OK, is it worth buying this car if it is super cheap? Now, I've worked on all the basic car maintenance stuff with my Corvette and my Subarus, but I am a complete newbie to 911SCs. I have driven a few, and really like them, but I don't know what I'd be getting myself into -- thus the request for advice. I've done just about everything other than engine internals and transmission internals, which would be beyond my abilities because I have no great place to work on a car. I know it's probably going to be a can of worms. How much of a can of worms it can possibly be is what I'd like to know. Anyway, I've probably been rambling a little, but is a 911SC project too much of a project assuming I don't have any engine internals or transmission work to do? If not, about how much would be a fair price?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

*edit* Yes, I know this is a difficult question and dependent on a lot of factors, sorry for that. I guess this is a cry for help in some ways, before I make an impulse buy. Also, "super cheap" in my previous sentences = less than $8K. Also, please be brutally honest with me, if possible.

Last edited by asr2003; 08-31-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:27 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Look at what you'd spend on fixing it up. Retrimming the seats is about $1000, new carpet kit is $300 or so, and then there's miscellaneous engine work. If it's been sitting, I'd get a compression check to make sure the engine is okay, check the trans, but I'd say it'll need another 2 or 3 thousand to become mechanically sound (fluids replaced, filters, pads, tune-up, and most rubber hoses replaced.) So we're looking at a best case scenario of $5000, imo. Could be worse - in fact, it likely is; an SC will run forever if you keep driving it, and kickel and dime you to death if you let it sit.

Emanuel
Old 08-31-2004, 07:39 PM
asr2003
2nd Gear

OK, that sounds reasonable, thanks for the advice. I'm not scared of all that work (assuming a compression check is OK and the transmission is OK, of course). I do think this car has been sitting for the better part of a couple years. Is it fair to assume it needs $5K in parts/etc. (I would be doing the work myself)? Is that about what you're saying? If that's the case, would a price of something like $6K be fair on the car? Again, feel free to tell me if I'm being stupid or unrealistic.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:44 PM
Clipboard
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well having been there here's my 2cts. Get ALL the paperwork you can and run a CarFax on the VIN. Read up 101 Porjects. Think about what you want - a daily, all-weather commuter NO. A fun and semi- (it's all relative) hobby car - OK. Without knowing the history of this particular car, 5grand is an easy drop. An engine rebuild is at least 3-4k, add in the transmixer at 2-3k and you have an 18k 911SC. For that you can get a nice 84-84 Carrera with less miles, EFI, maybe a G50 trans and a fine interior - the a/c might even work. You don't say where you are, and that does make a difference. Everyone on this forum got the 911 disease, so ask away! Good luck.
john
Old 08-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Clipboard
Instructor

...or an 84-89 Carrera...sigh
Old 09-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

What I have noticed from the forum and the Pelican forum is the about every 911SC ends up with $15,000 or more in it when all said and done. Some get great deals then have to put in a lot of money to get it where they want it. Once you get into the car you find other things that you want to replace.
If you enjoy doing the work yourself, then get the car inspected by a Porsche mechanic and work you you backward from $15,000. with a 10% buffer. Make sure you include everything on the car that shows any sign of needing to be repaired or replaced because if you dont fix it, it will nag you.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:45 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

I think the cost goes up because we hang out on these forums - my SC seemed in great shape before I started hanging out on Pelican and seeing other Porsches. Even so, the only expense I've had for my SC is SSIs and a new muffler when the originals rusted out. Everything else was trying to make it extra nice, something I've dropped since adding two more old Porsches to the stable.

Emanuel
Old 09-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Emanuel,

It appears that 1983 is a very special year for you.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:54 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richard C2S
Emanuel,

It appears that 1983 is a very special year for you.
Not really. My first Porsche was the SC and that happened to be Guards Red and an '83, so I stuck with that theme when I bought the others. It's interesting having all 3 models Porsche sold in the US that year - gives an interesting insight into the company, I think. I'd liken it to 3 very different kids all from the same 2 parents - at first glance, you might not even notice they're related, but over time you learn how deep the similarities go. It's amazing how little parts-sharing there seemed to be among the 3 cars, compared to what we see with the Boxster/Carrera of today.

Emanuel
Old 09-02-2004, 02:15 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

I miss my SC. It was the cleanest car you could ever imagine. Still have not seen one as nice. 1981 with 45K. I should have had my head examined for selling it. I love my 993 cab though
Old 09-02-2004, 02:31 AM
atl 911!
AutoX

If you are considering buying an SC I strongly recommend that you have someone pull the valve covers and look for evidence of brokent head studs. The car might run great with one broken and you would have know way of knowing. Not sure where you are located but I suspect that the north and salt belt winter areas are tougher on delivar head studs. You could probably stomach anything else that goes wrong but the headstuds failing will cost you a bunch since you probably wouldnt just do a top end on an engine that has 120k on it. YMMV, Chuck
Old 09-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Leandro
Advanced

Default drive and do a ppi before anything

Some 83 911sc's came with the carrera case. I'm still finishing mine. The engine is in and I just put 900 miles. Complete euro CIS, increased compression, 964 cams, equal length headers, dansk muffler, etc..........

Old 09-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Leandro
... Complete euro CIS ...
Pardon my apparent ignorance, but what is the difference between Euro CIS any other CIS?
Old 09-06-2004, 03:11 PM
CDiercks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul Conquest
Pardon my apparent ignorance, but what is the difference between Euro CIS any other CIS?
Larger fuel lines, larger fuel distributor, larger intake runners (80-83), no O2 sensor (as in 80-83 US spec.), probably some other things I'm missing.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Leandro
Advanced

Heads were ported to match the intake runners and valve job done. News valve springs and flycut the heads to pump compression. The engine is running better everyday.

Quick Reply: 911SC Project