Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brakes as part of routine maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 07:59 PM
911 in Boston
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brakes as part of routine maintenance

I am thinking that changing disk brake pads routinely might make sense. Most of us normally wait for audible indication of thinning pads but this often results in scored rotors. Do any of you do this sort of maintenance and if so, does it work out well or do you need to resurface the rotors anyway.
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:22 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
There are several thoughts on this. On a normal car the audable warning is from a little metal tab that rubs on the rotor and makes a screeching noise when the brakes are APPLIED. If you change the pads at that time, the rotors are usually fine. The grinding noise that you hear and feel is when the brake pads have worn to the point where the rivets that hold the pad material to the metal pad backing is rubbing and therefore ruining your rotors.

On my Porsche 930, I run a set of pads for the street and switch to a different set for track time, back and forth all summer. They do not have the metal tab to indicate them being worn, but they do have a slot in the pad. When the slot is no longer visible, its time to replace the pads. Most Porsche brakes are similar and you can look through the spokes of some wheels to see. Later Porsches also have a brake pad warning light, I'm not sure what year it started, but it was in the mid to late 80s.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh yea, don't ever resurface a Porsche rotor, purchase a new one when it is a) warped, b) no longer meets the thickness specification, c) if you have drilled rotors and there are cracks that run from hole to hole.

Quick Reply: Brakes as part of routine maintenance