Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

So, what do you think is easier...???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:06 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Re weight, my 78 SC sunroof cpe race car weighted in at 2520 lbs with forged alloys, hoosiers and 1/4 tank of gas. (I know this because I got DQ'd and had to start dead last in the race...embarrasing, but what a blast BTW... I highly reccommend it).

This despite a full cage, full interior and all steel body as required by PCA stock rules. So backing out the cage and 10-12 lbs per panel for the glass fenders and hood gets you deep into 2,400 lb range without geting crazy with stripping undercoating, plexiglass, sound deadening,yanking the sunroof,etc.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:21 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

The '72 is the best. I say that as an envious '73 owner. It's really a rust issue as I see it. Are you going to take it out in the spring before rain has washed off all the salt into the rivers where it kills the fish? Or can you control yourself until summer, when it should be safe to drive?
Old 08-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As with every Porsche I've owned, I'll be driving it every chance I get...weather be dammed. It will depend on how I feel that morning before heading out.

I'm pretty certain which direction I'm headed in...I just hate the idea of getting rid of the '72! Wonder if there's a way I can keep it....hmm...
Old 08-11-2004, 03:53 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

How rusty is the 72? Does it run?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCP911S
How rusty is the 72? Does it run?
It does not run...not now. I pulled the 2.4 MFI motor and trans and sold both with the intention of putting that money right back into the body work. But I never got to that. It has some rust in a couple of usual spots (see pics). I bought the new front tank support from Restoration Design. I was hoping a good coachbuilder/metalsmith could just fix the door sills. The rockers and floors are solid. I haven't ripped up the carpet yet, but from what I can see there are no leaks in the rear window area...rear seats and floors are clean. Overall, it's still a pretty solid car, definitely worth saving in my opinion.
Attached Images      
Old 08-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is what it looked like before I started "the project". Kinda sad to see, now...
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2004, 11:26 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

D&J... definately worth saving... keep the faith. $3K may be a stretch... somebody is going to have to put $$$ into this.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep. ..and if I had the money, I'd be working on it...I don't mind spending the money. But I don't have any large amounts of cash laying around right now. So part of my dilemma is can I go 911-less for another two-five years until I have a lump of cash I can put into this? ...or do I sell this, finance a newer 911 that I can drive while I'm making it "my special car"? Decisions, decisions...

Maybe I could make a little money prostituting myself. ...or something.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:19 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go buy the SC/Carrara and enjoy. I bet you could find a candidate SC below $10K.... 3.2 for maybe $12K.... especially with winter looming... There are alot of mechanically solid straight cars with scruffy cosmetics and lousy paint... alot of folks just can't justify putting $6-7K into these cars for a quality respray.

You can drive it and also make sure what you have before you sink $$$$ into it. Plus, planning is 80% of the fun, and virtually free. With the actual car, you can make a more realistic budget for exactly what is needed, and even start accumulating parts. If you want all steel, you can check swaps and ebay etc as things come up. If you have to get out of it, you probably won't get hurt... as long as the motor doesn't blow up.... maybe you could pull the body parts off the T....hmmmm

Man, I love living your life for you....
Old 08-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Man, I love living your life for you....

If it makes you feel any better, I think you and I are on the same wavelength. I agree whole heartedly with your plan...a mechanically solid driver that I can get for lower initial money and spend the time planning to make it "my" car. Even if I did very little to it for a couple of years, at least I'd have a 911 to drive. (Not that I don't like my Boxster, mind you. I'll probably never sell that...'cept to buy another Boxster.)

Now if you can help me find a way to make a little extra cash...

Quick Reply: So, what do you think is easier...???