Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My sunroof stopped working! Urrrgggh

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004 | 01:04 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Default My sunroof stopped working! Urrrgggh

Nothing like a 90 degree day, lots of humidity, crappy A/C, and an inoperable sunroof!!! It worked on the way to work!

Here's what it's doing...I press the button and it moves, but only the right side. The left seems frozen. Since it is making the nosise, and the right side is moving, I'm guessing this is a snapped or disconnected cable in the left side of the roof....agree?

Assuming this, what is the progression of checks and repairs? I've heard the cables sometimes get disconnected instead of breaking...in this case, is it possible to reconnect without dismantleing the whole darned roof? I have the Bentley, the Haynes, and the 101 Projects books...all show the sunroof panel removal instructions, so I have that. If anyone has done this and can lend an opinion on difficulty, tricks to the fix, things to avoid doing or not doing...anything...I'm all ears. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2004 | 05:52 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Drew,

I think you are on the right track and think if you pop the headliner off the sliding part, you can confirm if the two ends of the right cable are attached to roof. If it is pooched I believe it is a 'think twice do once' job and that you will want to have the parts on hand before you start.

While you are in there's include the nylon guide parts, and felts along sith the other cable.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2004 | 12:29 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the confirmation! I plan to tackle it next week.

Quick Reply: My sunroof stopped working! Urrrgggh