Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Which to buy, '79 SC or '87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004 | 01:38 AM
DM
Rennlist Member

Default Which to buy, '79 SC or '87 Carrera

I am evaluating two cars for my toy. Both would be a fun third car for around town, probably no track.

One is a '79 SC, Euro spec, 67k miles, recently rebuilt top end with new clutch and synros. SSI, pop off and tensioners. Perfect interior. Body 8 or 9 out of ten. No ac. Crank windows. No sunroof. I have not had a PPI done on this car.

The second is a '87 coupe. '87 Carrera with 115K milers and the PPI came back with the following results:
-Compression: 145 on five cylinders, 150 on the other.
-Leakdown test was 5 - 8%.
-Will need clutch in 10 - 15k miles.
-Needs covering on front seats.
-AC does not work.
-Will need shocks.
-Oil line leak (on the one to the thermostat)
-Excellent original paint
-Valve guides done at 55K.

The price on both is the same (around $16k). I like to color of both cars, so that is a wash.

Which would you guys go for?
Old 07-24-2004 | 09:52 AM
Bob S
Instructor

Get a PPI on the SC before you make your decision.. 16K seems high for the SC.

Good Luck
Old 07-25-2004 | 04:20 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

16K is definately too high for a 79 SC even though it has low miles. It sounds like a nice car with the right upgrades, but it needs a PPI. AC is an expensive retrofit so think a bit if it's hot in your area.

The 87 Carerra sounds like it needs some work. I'd avoid it and go for the SC if it has a good PPI.
Old 07-25-2004 | 05:03 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

they both have their pros/cons but we all know the SC will run forever but the 87 has a better injection system and G50 trans and hyd clutch. but I will tell you A/C is a very exspensive fix (our price on the compressor alone is close to $800!) tough desicion, wait for the PPI on the SC
Old 08-05-2004 | 11:43 PM
RSAmerica1
Advanced

I currently own an '86 Carrera, and previously owned a '79 SC coupe so I figured I could chime in on the benefits/differences of both - this is a little long: The '79 had a much more classic feel to it, esp. with the roll-down windows and lighter weight. With the SSI's and Euro configuration, you'd probably be encroaching on the Carrera's hp. I'm betting that it may even feel a bit quicker and certainly lighter than the Carrera. The G-50 in the Carrera is certainly a stronger transmission than the 915 in the SC, but my '86 (last year for the 915) shifts beautifully, as did my SC, so I don't really understand the extreme (at times) fanaticism over the G-50. There are a lot of Carrera's out there for the same or slightly higher $ that may not have as many needs. Both my 911's had/have A/C but neither worked well and I never put any time/money into making them work better. Unless you're in a hot climate and are using the car as a daily driver, I'd probably not worry about the A/C (esp. with the SC since you're saving a lot of weight by having none of the components onboard). The Carrera is a much more refined 911 than the SC, with its electric windows, power seats, updated dash, improved suspension, etc. etc., so if the SC seems a bit stark inside and while driving, then the Carrera may be a better fit. So far (6 months), my '86 has been great, with no problems or repairs needed, although sometimes I think back to the old SC's crude charm. The My SC had 160,000miles when I sold it (for $13,500 incidentally, which I've been congratulated on several times) and the only problem I had during my 4 years and 20,000 miles of ownership was a broken starter. I think the '79 Euro with the 67K miles would go for something in the $12-13 range depending on its needs. Sorry for the long reply, but I thought my experiences would be helpful.

PC
Old 08-06-2004 | 12:33 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

I'd check with your insurance company too - Some won't insure a euro model with the ZZZ in the VIN #

Oh - I'd go with the '87. My reasoning is this: all my toys have to meet a simple set of criteria; they have to maintain their value to some degree. The SC is overpriced... I would try and get the price down on the 87 being that it needs a few items, then fix some of the stuff ongoing - and you'll still have a 15=16K car for years to come.
Old 08-06-2004 | 12:52 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Either car is nice... the SC ligher and more sporty, the 3.2 a bit more refined but still similar.

However, I would avoid "bargain" cars that just need a "little work". Its cheaper in the long run to pay a bit more for a car that is correct right from the get go.

Quick Reply: Which to buy, '79 SC or '87 Carrera