Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Robert O. Dean
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 911 - OIL PRESSURE SWITCH

Porsche: 1984 911 3.2 Carrera
Problem: Oil Pressure Switch
Details: My Oil Pressure Switch that drives the dash idiot light has failed. I now have an oil leak (drip) at the switch on the engine and the idiot light is on continuously.

Two questions that I need some help with.
1) Can this switch be replaced without dropping the engine? I can see the switch and somewhat touch it.
2) When the switch first failed and the light came on at the dash, it also causes the parking brake and brake pad sensor warning lights to come on. To confirm this situation, I know I have new pads and sensors since I replaced them this past spring and when I disconnect the lead to the oil pressure sensor all the warning light go off. Whats up with that?!

Thanks for the help
Rob
Old 08-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rob - the multiple lights coming on is a "feature". It's normal.

Yes, you can replace the switch by simply lowering the rear of the engine to give sufficient clearance. I'm sure the procedure has been documented at some time on this board. If you can't find it, I'll be glad to write something up for you.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:14 PM
88CarreraTarga
Track Day

I have an 88 carrera 3.2. I've searched the forum and I haven't found any direct info regarding the process for removing/replacing the Oil Pressure Sensor. It looks like getting to the lock nut under the sensor would be a real pain to get to.

Has anyone come accross a write up on the R/R of this sensor? Mine is stuck a 3.5 bars and needs to be replaced (pressure is OK)

Quick Reply: 84 911 - OIL PRESSURE SWITCH