Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need input better to buy 911 SC or 944 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 12:12 PM
Carlos
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dollar for dollar neither one can touch a 928. 930 speed with a power band as wide as Rosie O'Donell's ***, good a/c, style, comfort, ride quality & handling. Remember it was Dr. Porsche's favorite.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:36 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comparing a 928 to Rosie O'Donnell... you may have really hit on an analytical model there, metaphorically speaking...
Old 11-02-2001, 01:31 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
K.D.,

Any 928 is considerably more attractive than Ms. O'Donnell. Of course, to me, there are no ugly Porsches.

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 11-02-2001, 02:17 PM
Carlos
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin: Not likeing the view of my 928 from behind is just one more thing that the purists have to deal with when they get strapped.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:37 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
You can easily find a SC that can be used as a daily driver but being objective and having owned both cars I'd say the 944 Turbo makes a better daily driver. Now, my opinion is obviously subjective. The 911 SC is a great car...I LOVE it, wouldn't trade it, and, for what I am looking for, I prefer it over the 944 Turbo but I don't drive it everyday either (although in the summer it occasionally may be driven on a more daily basis). The 944 Turbo just has better manners for getting around town. For example, power steering, heat/air that is dependable, slightly tamer ride (not better, just not as harsh). An excellent example of a 944 Turbo (non-S) will cost less than most poor examples of a 911SC. In addition, I kind of disagree with an earlier poster, my experience is that the maintenance costs on a 944 Turbo can be less than a lot of SC's (again this is really case by case). The 944 Turbo offers great bang for the buck. JMO.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:42 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I meant nothing disparaging about the appearance of the 928, from any angle. In fact, I LIKE the styling of the 928 (who cares?). I just don't enjoy driving one AS MUCH as I enjoy driving a 911 (so what?). I just couldn't overlook Carlos's analogy. No offense meant (to Carlos or 928s, hell, even to Rosie O'D. - she can handle it).

What amuses (amazes?) me is that for some the sine qua non of Porsche evaluation / comparison is $s &/or metrics.

On the oft quoted line from Ferdinand on his favorite Porsche... I suspect like many creative artists / engineers, the "favorite" is usually the most recent. He may well have said that about all his namesake designs when they were newly realized. Maybe, when he became aged, it was a more comfortable ride.

OK, in my opinion (who cares? shut up!) the 928GTS is the finest design realization of a utilitarian GT of its era. A German Corvette that could take on a Ferrari. The 924/944/968 family reveals the process of creating the "first great Audi Sports/GT (w/o 4WD)". It just turned out to have a Porsche badge & (as time went on) was improved by Porsche development processes, marketing forces & race breeding (all GOOD things!).

The 911? A highly evolved sports car that demands & rewards a driver, not an operator. Decent value, utility & metrics is just a bonus. Gee, & after 36 yrs. you can still buy a new one. In fact, I think I'll just go for a drive...
Old 11-03-2001, 10:19 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Dr Porsches favorites are also changed as he got older. As a young men he had the fire and liked to drive fast and when he growed out the cars reflect it. They got more " comfortable" ? or more sophisticatet ?

If you look back into his history;

The first Porsche was based on a Volkswagen.
This car was mainly designed by his father and he only was interestet into things young boys do. Playing and seeking for power or better said push the limits to learn something. So the 356 was still something like a young boy dream car. The 911 was the grown up young boy dream car and the 928 was the grown up boy dream car.
The 356 had to live with the circumstances from his birth and the 911 is just a evolution from the 356 but the 928 is a engeinners drem, starting with a blank sheet and money isn´t a real object. This is why he loved the 928 so much. It is a car based on his compromisses and his influence down to the last nut & bolt.

But it is like with having children you love them all even if they are very different.

How does the 914 - 944 fits in there ?

They had hard to cope with there history.
The 914 was a very loved car untill the VW part influenced to much desicions and later turned the unfriendly face on. This project startet as a joint venture from two companys and ended many broken porcelain and with a bad divorce. The 924 was a divorce child and until Porsche made the 944 engine the VW group always had a lever to keep there foot in the house.
The 924 genes aren´t the problem as most parts where designed from Porsche for Volkswagen and Porsche never had problems to share things.

UPS On Topic:

All Porsche are great cars just pic a nice one

The 911 is a annachronismen and far away from reason. Sometimes it is hard to life with him as he is a bit the nervous buddy and allways like to be in the middle from the scene. Driving a 911 is always a bit exiting and like a every day adventure.

The 944 is a bit shy and more practicable orientatet. Something like the silent buddy who always show deep waters when you push to the limits. Driving a 944 is more like on a average car but if you will you can make every day a adventure as well.

One major difference between the cars is there seat position and how you enter the car.
The 911 is more like a "normal" car while the 944 is a deep seat position. "Old". people prefer the 911 way and have it easier to get out.

Grüsse
Old 11-05-2001, 06:53 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a really interesting thread. Someone on the 944 board posted a link to this thread. Here is a 944 perspective:

I really wanted an SC Targa a few years ago and I did a great deal of research into the 911 line to settle in on the SC model.

However, the financial considerations of getting a non-essential weekend car pushed me into a 944S2 (16 valve 3.0 liter N/A engine w/ 208 hp stock) and I have had no regrets (it was 1/2 the price of an SC). I am tall, 6'-4", and I have more headroom than in the few 911's and 928's in which I have sat. I do like the more upright seating of the 911's. I also like the big hatch back on the 944 - it really comes in handy when I am out and about or when I take a road trip without the wife and dog.

I find the SC and the early Carreras to be formidable adversaries at Drivers Ed events. The 911's enter into corners slower than I, but man do they rocket out like, well, rockets. I love the way they squat under hard cornering. I always get a rush when I am able to catch and pass one.

More 944 Perspectives, if interested.

Ok, back to my corner of the site I go.

Enjoy your cars.

Quick Reply: Need input better to buy 911 SC or 944 Turbo?