Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need input better to buy 911 SC or 944 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 01:27 PM
backerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need input better to buy 911 SC or 944 Turbo?

I need some input which is better buy 911 SC or 944 Turbo for a daily driver. Let's say both in fairly good condition what's the best bang for the buck? What about going crazy and getting a 930? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:58 PM
t.p.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go for the SC as a daily driver. They're super-fun, but the 944T's a little quicker. I'm 911-biased I guess. A 930 is not a good daily driver car. I own one, and they're definitely an adrenaline-junkie's fix, but the power is too high up in the rev-range and too much when it arrives for just putting around on a daily basis. They're so beautiful though.
Go for the SC. Get one that's been well maintained and enjoy it. An SC's perfect for every-day, all over the place fun.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:12 PM
Eric '86 Targa
Intermediate

I noticed you're in Seattle. For a daily driver go with a sunroof coupe SC. If you were farther south I'd recommend holding out for a Carerra, 86 or better for better AC. And if you were in sunnier climates, a targa or a cab. But you're dealing with constant drizel and moderate temperatures. One thing you might want to check is the heating. In '84 Porsche added blowers to the front to help draw the hot air from the engine. If an SC provides enough heat, you'll be OK.

Other things I notice in my daily driver: power driver's seat is nice, get a big steering wheel (I have a little MOMO sport wheel and it sucks in parking lots), forego spoilers and tails (if I had a chin spoiler, I'd rip it off every other week - even at stock height I bottom out alot and Seattle is actually a little hillier than Chattanooga). And an advantage of my 86 now that gas prices are very high and I'm unemployed - I have the option of running on regular unleaded fuel.

As far as 944T vs. 911SC, I'm very biased. I haven't even driven a 944 but I couldn't imagine it being as much fun as my 911.

-Eric
Old 11-01-2001, 02:47 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

I'd vote for the SC as well, or a Carerra if you are willing to spend a bit more. Actually, I think you can get a nice 84-85 Carerra for around the same as a nice 80s SC.

As for a 930, I am with t.p. I own a 930 (the most beautiful model Porsche ever made IMO) and it is not a daily driver. You can modify them a bit to get better low end torque and drivability, but they need a good 10 minutes to even get warm and the faster you go the better they drive. Not a trip to Safeway kind of car.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:36 PM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Seattle and my daily driver is an SC Targa, circa '78.

It is true that the fabric top Pcars are going to give you some trouble should the PO not have tended to things. Having said that, I have rebuilt my own Targa top, refurbished the seals to a *limited* degree, and find that the car can handle the downpour.

It would be ideal, should you consider a cab or targa, to know you can park it inside both at home and at work. Just a thought.

BTW, the SC does make a great daily driver.

Jw
Old 11-01-2001, 03:55 PM
David0514
Racer

My neighbor has both a 78 sc and a mid 80 944 Turbo. I guess he likes the 944 more as a daily driver because I see that coming and going all the time and the SC covered in his garage. Also, I definetly see a ton more 944 and 928's during the week and more 911's on the weekends. I believe they about the same in price. Me being poor, I use my 911 on the weekends and leave the commuting to the Honda. Much more practical and it makes driving the 911 that much more exciting when I get the chance. Good luck in your decision.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:06 PM
Gonzo
Banned

You have two questions:
1. Best daily driver- 911SC or 944 Turbo? These are two very different cars- if you haven't driven both you should. The 944 will have a better AC/Heater. I expect the 944 to be more comfortable from day to day as it was engineered for a larger (and less macho) target market. Although good examples of either can be reliable, neither should be considered particularly practical. A purchase like this has more to do with passion.
2. Best bang for buck? 944 Turbo, hands down winner (250-400BHP for under $20K). This car is capable of spanking most contenders out there, a real eye-opener. Underestimate one at your own peril...

My .02 cents:
I'd take take any 911 (any day).
Old 11-01-2001, 07:35 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are on the wrong forum to get an unbiased answer. Try the General forum.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:12 PM
backerman
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thanks guys-
Some good advice! I have a feeling whatever I buy I'll be talking to soon.

Brian
Old 11-01-2001, 08:57 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

forums aren't biased, people are (or are not).
Old 11-01-2001, 11:06 PM
jlkline
Racer

I guess someone missed the point of my last entry.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:46 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

more likely, to your point, belaboring the obvious. often, the most accurate, most valuable critique comes not from those against, but from those who are for... they are most knowledgable, realistic & open, and yet STILL select the very path they are critcal of... they define "constructive criticism". the highest quality advisors on these forums seem (to me) to fall into that category.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:11 AM
jlkline
Racer

OK, Kevin. I agree with you to some extent, and I'm sure that there are 911 forum participants, (individuals and professionals) with both 911's and 944T's; however, the majority of folks who exchange ideas here are passionate about 911's.

The originator is trying to make a binary decision here, so to be fair, he/she should at least pose the same question on the 944T or general forums, to gain the perspective of the enthusuasts that covet these P cars or are more Porsche generalsists.( It looks like he/she has already done that on the 944T page) The originater will then have broader and more balanced knowledge from which to make this decision.

Just my last 2 cents on the subject.

Old 11-02-2001, 11:03 AM
carrera
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A 944 turbo is easier to make faster, handles better, and is more refined.
It can be more expensive to maintain and will depreciate more.
A 911 will keep its value, is a handful at speed until you become accustomed to it,easier to maintain(IMO),and feels faster at slower speeds.
Much more edge to a 911.
The only real way to know for yourself is to get plenty of seat time in both.
My opinion and others will not count for much if you prefer one over the other.
Do not rely heavily on opinions as it is a personal choice.

But really who would not want a 911?
Old 11-02-2001, 11:57 AM
KLehmann
Instructor

If you're looking for bang-for-the-buck, the 944T is a winner. As far as initial cash outlay, you can pick up a fair 944T much cheaper than a fair SC. Also, I don't think the 944T could depreciate much more. They have a little bit more resale strength than say a 928 (I just don't understand the 928's resale history). Less buck = 944T wins. The 944T handles & scoots as good or better than the SC. It's "not a 911" either if that's important to you. More bang (with very large potential for improvement) = 944T wins. Problem is, 944T's are typically more expensive to maintain due to the turbo system, more expensive 944T parts, cooling system, larger drivetrain layout and are a little more complex/harder to diagnose. So what. Nowadays with sites like this, somebody's bound to have had similar problems with their 944T and can point you in the right direction. So can Excellence magazine.

Plus, I think you'd get more utility out of the 944T for a DAILY DRIVER. The 944 has a BIG hatch, a/c that works well, heat that can surely melt you and a little more modern interior if that's what you like.

Drive 'em both and buy what you like. If it's the 944T that is the car for you, so what if it's "not a 911." It's still a Porsche. I think that is what is important. Porsches are simply kickass cars.

Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Need input better to buy 911 SC or 944 Turbo?