Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ok, let's hear how many of us have crashed/totaled a 911..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:11 PM
427grips
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ok, let's hear how many of us have crashed/totaled a 911..

My 89' is my first 911 and I love it alot. Only once did tto rear it's ugly head and I caught it barely just in time. It was in the snow and I did provoke it.

But, I wonder just how many of us HAVE lost total control of a 911? How many have been totaled? How many folks here have at one time or another suffered or caused damage to a 911?

R.S.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:43 PM
mamoroso
Racer

I totalled my first 911 (88 coupe) after 3 days of ownership. I was driving up a 4 lane road. Needed to turn left into a parking lot. A big SUV stopped on the first lane to my left to let me through as the traffic light was red in fron of him. I hedged forward but didn't see this Honda Civic coming on the second lane.... He was on his cell and didn't see me either.
He hit me in front of the right front wheel.
Insurance estimated the repairs worth more than 70% of the value of the car. By law here in NC the car has to be totalled if that happens...

The red baby is what I bought with the insurance money.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've PARTED a 911...but somebody else wrecked it. Actually, he was hit by an uninsured motorist just days after getting his motor rebuilt (to the tune of around $12k!!!) He was going through a light when somebody ran a red. Poor guy...I bought the car for the motor and parted enough to pay for the "transplant".
Old 07-20-2004, 04:29 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I came out of the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, put two wheels off at the end of turn 9, and went into the concrete wall.

The mark on the wall is still there to this day. The mark on my bank account will last even longer.

If you look closely at the picture, you can see me breaking the steering wheel with my hands.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:26 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool video Jack! I've followed BBII from the beginning over on PP, but that was the first time I've seen that one...

Keith
Old 07-21-2004, 06:31 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I have totalled two. First 90 black C4 was not my fault. The white 95 993 track car was my fault. Not really hurt in either (minor in C4 nothing at all inthe track car).
Attached Images   
Old 07-21-2004, 10:51 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

a yellow cab hit my c2 Targa from the rear - rang my bell - and totalled the car - It's now on Autotrader -

Old 07-22-2004, 07:30 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Crashed but a good story (long)

A number of years ago (1989?) I was driving on Sunrise Blvd going west just east of the Intracoastal bridge in Fort Lauderdale. I was the 3rd car, about 25' back of the car in front of me, perhaps 25 mph just at that instant the red lights flash for the lift bridge, the first car panics and locks up his brakes, car in front of me stops, I stop and look in my mirror....oh oh, Firebird behind me is speeding, s**t....I move up about 15 feet hoping he can stop....bang...great shot shoves me into the car in front of me....ok, get out....sheet metal damage to the front fenders, high, breaks both headlight assemblies (Euro lights) and creases both front fenders, no damage to the hood! The rear, same, crumpled both rear fenders and pushed down the lid. My lady friend, at the time, thinking fast decides to go in the ambulance to the hospital and I accompany her leaving the car to be towed.
Next day, she's ok, no damage, but I go to see the car....and take all my "stuff" out. looks a lot worse that it turned out to be.
On my way home from the tow company I get a little lost and am riding around through a warehouse area and I notice a few 911's in various stages of body repair parked....hmmmm...Park go in...wow.. this guy is building a 959, and has a turbo that is having its rear flares made 3" wider.....
Looks good...anyway I have the car towed there and about 4 weeks later, with me watching almost daily my 911 is made into a turbo look with rear slots....
Cost the insurance company close to $10,000.(not my company) He did all the negotiations.
This was a 79 911 Euro that I bought from a doctor in Munich in 84 this was the cleanist most cared for vehice I had ever seen, (he had his new one in the garage alongside it) I used the car in Germany for a month and personally imported it...the car cost me $10,300 with the shipping and conversion, I drove it for a total of 9 years, and sold it for $16,000, in 93
I have some photos somewhere but its a hassle to post prints.
Daniel BMWCCA 12660 and PCA
Old 07-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Hmm. I'll just repeat Jack- I did the same thing:
"I came out of the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, put two wheels off at the end of turn 9, and went into the concrete wall."
Only I MOVED the concrete barrier about 6"- none of this leaving a little mark stuff. But this was in my 951 about 5 years ago, not a 911.
Yea, I'm not a big fan of turn 9 any more...
Old 07-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Revvin_911S
Instructor

My first car was a '66 912. I had only had the car about 3 months, and was still a very inexperienced driver. I was on my way to pick up a girl for our first date and was comming down a hill. It was dark and foggy and I saw her street sign a little late. I locked the brakes up, and due to my inexperience at the time, panic set in and I held the brakes instead of just letting off and getting traction back. I slid quite a ways on the wet hill, including jumping the center divide, sliding broad side down it, and ultimatly ending up in the bushes. I was extremely lucky to get up and walk away without even a bruise. Bad way to start a first date though. The next day my dad and I went out to walk around where it had taken place. All of a sudden he starts laughing and whenI asked, he just pointed to the ground where an old bannana peal was lying in the road and says that I must have just slipped on the peal. So my claim from then on has always been that if it hadnt been for that damn bananna peal....
Old 07-24-2004, 12:19 AM
iblis
AutoX

Default i just got my car wrecked 23/07/04

drove out in cross, going left, was waiting to it was my turn, when a old man proberly blind , drove direct in to my 1971 2.4e and destroyed the the right fender, front hood, and the bumper, and when he came out of the car he started to blaim me old fool, went to my local porsche dealer who told me that it will cost 8000usd to fix it, just got it repainted i could cry
Old 07-24-2004, 09:46 PM
TannMann71
Track Day

Smile wreckedexotics.com

Considering that I, like most of you, drive my 911 like it was designed to be driven, (how could you resist, right?) I've been very lucky and have yet to damage it. But I greatly attribute a lot of it to a website I found while searching the web for 911's in preparation of purchasing my first one.
It's called WreckedExotics.com and all they show is pictures of wrecked cars of every exotic make. And as I looked at all these Beautiful cars that are so high tech in design (Porsche of course) sitting there all scrunched, I was wondering how in the heck could someone have lost control of that supreme handling machine? With just a little thought into the subject and picturing how far out on the envelope you would be when you finally lost control, that a recovery would more then likely be slim and none.
That was by far one of the best pre Porsche ownership classes one could take if you're open enough to see the bigger picture...
Like I said, I don't baby my car and on occasion have threaded the thinnest of needles with it. (you know the kind where you go to pass mr slow and the BIG RIG's coming at ya when mr slow speeds up to cut you off but you slip it in with less than a car length left to go!) But when I'm on that curvy mountain road pushing my beautiful car to perform for me, I think about that website and back it down just a touch, back into the fun but safe zone to drive another day...
If you're taking those chances by riding the outside edge of the envelope sooner or later that chance is bound to catch up, right...
Whelp, that's my two cents worth, worked for me hope it works for you...

Jerry Burks
Sacratomato, CA
Old 07-25-2004, 02:16 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

our shop foreman totaled a 97 C2S we just did a top end on (nice too, chip cams and exhaust) when he was test driving it on the freeway, car cut in front of him at 70mph, clipped the right front fender and spun him around sending the poor 993 with a fresh top end job, tail first into the divider, hit so hard it buckled the roof. I could cry when the flat bed brought it back
Old 07-25-2004, 12:34 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Had a front sway bar link break on a '94 3.6 Turbo going around a turn at Lime Rock doing over 100 MPH. Back end swung around and the car went to the inside of the track sideways and hit the tire wall. The car flipped in the air hit the bridge with the nose of the car, and then landed back on the track under the bridge on its' side with my roof facing on coming cars. To make it worse, the engine was still running and putting out smoke making it difficult to see in the narrowest part of the track. Fortunately a quick red flag and good driving by the rest of the folks on the track avoided any further incident.

I wasn't hurt except for some bruising from my shoulder belts. Even went back out on the track in a friend's car that day.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

on track -
let's see got pushed off (contact)at road atlanta in 93' in a 911 Turbo - full throttle - rear wheel off and caught - snap spun and flipped it 4-5 times - no injuries (full cage & safety gear). SCCA race. Car was a total loss
parked my 92 cup car in a dirt retaining wall, mechanical failure at the rear hub- read rear wheel steering+ i screwed up and miss read the warning signs. almost causght it - but didn't Hard Front right hit (how many 911's are hit in the front?)
Fixing it right now
none on the street which is luckly - been driving a P-car almost continually since 88' on the street.

Quick Reply: Ok, let's hear how many of us have crashed/totaled a 911..