Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is this a CIS or CDI problem, and can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 03:35 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a CIS or CDI problem, and can you help?

Hi all,
I have finally gotten the "project" up and coming alive two weeks ago. New plugs, cap, and rotor, belt, air filter, valve adjusted and new used HEs. The 78SC cold starts and idles great, but quickly dies when I press on the accelerator pedal. Actually, this is how it happens everytime. It idles and I press on the gas pedal, it would initially hesitate when I put my foot on the pedal to give it some gas, it would gives me a couples of pops in the air box, revs up to 4-5 Krpm, and dies when it came back down to idling rpm when I take my foot off. After that, it would not restart until a few hours later and I smell a lot of gas. I have check the sparks at the plugs when it would not restart and the sparks looks fine. Has anyone have this problem before and can you help. Thanks in advance. Andy
Old 07-10-2004, 12:55 PM
art
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You most likely need to go through the system and check things step by step, but have you checked the air flap to make sure it is not sticking?

Compression check on engine? Injector spray pattern? Vacuum leak? These are things you can check subjectively without special tools.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

sounds like it's running lean at 1st then goes rich as it warms up. Do you have voltage to your warn up regulator? If so it may just be bad.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:15 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I vote for the Metering flap sticking.

Quick Reply: Is this a CIS or CDI problem, and can you help?