Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help with caliper choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004 | 09:17 PM
Derek 357i
Track Day

Default Need help with caliper choices

I'll first say that this is not going on a Porsche, but you guys seem to know all of these calipers inside and out.

I am building an LS1 powered e30 BMW and I currently have a full M Roadster suspension (e36 M3 front & rear calipers & rotors). Because the driver's side bank of cylinders occupy the space formerly used by the brake booster, I am going with manual brakes. I was going to use a hydroboost setup, but the setup was too heavy and awkward, and with 5 stage dry sump oiling, I already have plenty of hoses in the engine compartment.

All of this said, I am concerned about pedal pressure with my setup. I am running a wilwood 25.4mm tandem master cylinder and am modifying my pedal to achieve a 6.2:1 pedal ratio. The M3 brakes have 315/ 28mm front rotors with a single 60mm piston. The rears have 312/ 20mm rotors with single 40mm pistons. I would like to stay with BMW rotors and use Porsche calipers on them, and have the brackets made. Based on rotor thickness, piston sizing, radial mount etc... I am thinking std 996 front calipers and std Boxster rear calipers. My weight dist should be almost 50/50.

Any input you guys could provide would be great.

BTW, I posted this in the 944 forum as well, just trying to get as many eyeballs as possible.

TIA
Derek

Quick Reply: Need help with caliper choices