Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

stuck throttle in 82SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 01:43 AM
StanV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck throttle in 82SC

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I've not posted images before.
Last night, at an autocross, my 82SC's throttle stuck open. Quick shutdown, no damage done. When I popped the rear lid I found that a black plastic clip where the throttle cable terminates at a metal bracket had popped loose. I've tried to attach images of how the assemblt appeared immediately after the episode, and after replacing everything in its correct location. The clip appears to have a couple of shoulders that should affix it firmly into the bracket, but these are worn. I've not been able to find the replacement part on the Pelican website, and I'm not sure whether to replace the part or fashion a retaining clip that would hold the thing together.
Any thoughts?

Stan
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2004, 01:44 AM
StanV
Instructor

The previous was the "before" picture. Here's everything back in place
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2004, 04:43 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stan

I could be wrong... but I think that the cable and associated black plastic adjuster are for the cruise control cable.

The throttle is controlled via linkage on the other side of that bracket.

Thus if your throttle stuck, you're looking in the wrong place.

Look behind that bracket, and you'll see the linkage to which I refer....

That linkage traverses forward and downward towards the front of the car.

I can't imagine how the cruise control cable could result in a stuck-WOT scenario.

The "after picture" would only show that additional "slack" was introduced into the cruise control cable...

Fixing that black connector/adjustor would only allow you to properly tension the cruise control cable.

I'd say that you need to disconnect that cable (the cruise control cable), and actuate the throttle back and forth with a friend standing by, to verify what is causing the sticking linkage (and it is a sticking linkage)

Good luck,

TonyG
Old 07-01-2004, 09:34 AM
mamoroso
Racer

TonyG is right. It's the cruise control cable.
The same thing happened to me at a DE at CMP this Friday... Throttle stuck open going into the slowest corner of the track....
There is a rubber seal (sorry, don't know how else to call it) that holds the termination of the cruise control cable in the metal bracket. In my car this rubber seal was worn.
This caused the termination of the cruise control cable to slid off the metal bracket when I was accelerating (if you look at your engine when u accelerate the cable should pull your way). When decelerating the termination of the cruise cable was stuck outside the metal bracket, preventing the throttle to go back to flat.
I disconnected the cruise control cable whilst I wait for the new rubber seal to arrive.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:43 AM
StanV
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. No wonder searches using "throttle linkage" and "throttle cable" didn't give me the item I was looking for.

I've looked again, and I agree with TonyG that the slipped bracket is a by-product of a sticking linkage, rather than the cause. I say this because the cruise control cable failing to allow the throttle to return to idle position leaves the throttle only partially open, about 1/4 or so of its travel.

I'll check it out today.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

911 throttle linkages are pretty simple ... could the sticking throttle be from another source, like a floor mat? I've had my throttle "stick" when the floor mat slid forward as I moved my foot to the brake pedal. I know it was the mat because I cleared the problem by kicking the mat backward with my heal. I take the mats out for autocross now.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:32 PM
StanV
Instructor

Paul,

That's a good point. Because we were at an autocross, all the floor mats were out. I've lubricated the linkage, which as you point out is pretty simple, and at the moment everything works fine, with no binding. The throttle linkage is part of the pre-autocross tech inspection and I also reviewed the whole event with the tech inspector (who, admittedly, is not very knowledgeable about 911's). He maintains that the cruise control cable coming loose from the bracket could indeed have stuck the throttle open enough to cause the problem, and further maintains that the course might have contributed: the start was on a banked portion of our local track, and led immediately into a sharp left turn at full throttle, with the car banked 15 degrees to the right.

For now, I've solved the problem by disconnecting the cruise control cable once we arrive at the track. Since I've never used it anyway, I might just remove the whole thing. The assembly only seems to weigh a couple of pounds, but since when did removing even a kilogram of weight from behind the rear wheels ever hurt a 911's handling?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:08 AM
mamoroso
Racer

StanV

I removed the cruise control after my DE problem. Everything was fine... until I drove to the beach the following weekend (300 miles). Coming back home on Sunday night I got pulled for speeding. The highway was deserted and I really did not mean to go too fast....
Anyway with the cruise control gone I got clocked at 89. The officer was really nice and as I had a clean license he booked me for 9 miles over the speed limit.

I guess it's time for Valentine 1....

Quick Reply: stuck throttle in 82SC