Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

help me understand the windshield washer system (1988)

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM
bavareze
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help me understand the windshield washer system (1988)

Hello!

The repair manual shows 3 electric pumps related to the washer system.

I found a pump in my car next to the battery. What does that pump do? When I attempt to wash the windshield, I hear a pump but the sound comes from near the windshield wipers motor (behind the dash). So I'm assuming the windshield washer pump (green pump). Then what is the pump near the battery supposed to do? I know it's not the pump for the supplemental cleaner, because that one is supposed to be near the RH fender. And I also don't think my car came equipped with headlight washer system. Then what is it and how come it's not on the diagram?

Furthermore, the washer fluid tank cap is supposed to have 3 hoses coming out of it. Mine has only 2. What am I missing?

Also, is there a complete diagram somewhere showing all the hoses, connectors, valves and so on so I can verify my existing system is complete and correct?

As of now I hear the pump under behind the dash working but nothing gets squirted on the windshield.

Talking about 1988 Porsche Carrera Targa

Thanks!

Last edited by bavareze; Yesterday at 01:48 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
76FJ55
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

My 84 does not have the intensive wash, so I can't be certain on it, but the normal washer tank is located in the drivers side front wheel well and filled through a port located inside the fuel door. the pump at the front should be the pump for the standard washer.

The headlight washer pump would be mounted in the bottom of the washer fluid tank out in the front wheel well, if you had one, but yours may not have been delivered with that system.

It does seem like you should have 3 lines. 1) The pickup line from tank to pump to supply the pump with fluid. 2) a line Teed into the output of the pump returning to the tank. 3)vent line to vent the tank as fluid is used or added. based on the parts diagram it looks like the missing line is the vent, but the drawing may not be that accurate.

I don't know the location of the intensive washer system well, but i believe the tank is mounted next to the brake master cylinder. and the intensive pump is mounted on the intensive washer tank. that would most likely be your source for the pump sound near the windshield wiper system.
Old Today, 01:34 AM
bavareze
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 76FJ55
My 84 does not have the intensive wash, so I can't be certain on it, but the normal washer tank is located in the drivers side front wheel well and filled through a port located inside the fuel door. the pump at the front should be the pump for the standard washer.

The headlight washer pump would be mounted in the bottom of the washer fluid tank out in the front wheel well, if you had one, but yours may not have been delivered with that system.

It does seem like you should have 3 lines. 1) The pickup line from tank to pump to supply the pump with fluid. 2) a line Teed into the output of the pump returning to the tank. 3)vent line to vent the tank as fluid is used or added. based on the parts diagram it looks like the missing line is the vent, but the drawing may not be that accurate.

I don't know the location of the intensive washer system well, but i believe the tank is mounted next to the brake master cylinder. and the intensive pump is mounted on the intensive washer tank. that would most likely be your source for the pump sound near the windshield wiper system.
got it all figured out now. So the red vent line is what I'm missing. On this diagram it appears like it has some sort of fitting at the end but no part number is allocated. What would that be?

Also, is the T (item 19) specially calibrated? Else it might allow too much fluid to return, leaving the nozzles without adequate pressure.

Quick Reply: help me understand the windshield washer system (1988)