Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Handling ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2024, 08:03 PM
btlackey
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Handling ?

Ok, I'm going to apologize up front, as I can't imagine this hasn't been asked a million times, but I didn't see a good thread after a quick search. So here goes:

I had a mid 70's car growing up and have always wanted to build one. I recently found a great starter car, but I wanted to get a sense of how well this car can be made to handle? AKA with front struts and rear swing arm suspension, I know it's never going to be a GT4RS (current car), but how close can it be made from a strictly handling perspective on a track assuming coilovers, brakes and a fairly unlimited suspension build sans grafting in the 964 suspension. Obviously no nannies on the 911, which I'm fine with (old SCCA racer at heart). I'm just trying to get a sense if I'm not too worried about laptimes if this could make a good track car. Car I'm looking at already has a stock 3.6, so it should be pretty reliable from that standpoint at least.

Old 08-16-2024, 07:23 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Disregard.

Last edited by old man neri; 08-16-2024 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2024, 11:59 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by btlackey
Ok, I'm going to apologize up front, as I can't imagine this hasn't been asked a million times, but I didn't see a good thread after a quick search. So here goes:

I had a mid 70's car growing up and have always wanted to build one. I recently found a great starter car, but I wanted to get a sense of how well this car can be made to handle? AKA with front struts and rear swing arm suspension, I know it's never going to be a GT4RS (current car), but how close can it be made from a strictly handling perspective on a track assuming coilovers, brakes and a fairly unlimited suspension build sans grafting in the 964 suspension. Obviously no nannies on the 911, which I'm fine with (old SCCA racer at heart). I'm just trying to get a sense if I'm not too worried about laptimes if this could make a good track car. Car I'm looking at already has a stock 3.6, so it should be pretty reliable from that standpoint at least.
You can make them handle very well and be lots of fun, but the newer water pumpers are light years quicker even w/ less experienced drivers

The better it is for the track the worse for the street

a 3.6 is nice but not necessary, since you have one in the car already then address the transmission, you want the strongest side plate and bearing that you can get, if it's an aluminum case then have a steel shaft girdle installed, cooing wouldn't hurt not necessary for the street but much more so for track use.. You want an effective LSD, an asymmetric say 40/60 is best but at least a ZF 40/40. optimize the shifter and associated bushes.. no 901 or 911 allowed w/ a 3.6, minimum a 915.

suspension basic design is as good as a 964s but not a 993s, bigger t-bars, 20/26 min 21/27 is more trackish all the way up to 24/36 after that add coil over helpers ala SC/RS and RSR, spend a lot for shocks MC, JRZ etc, adj. sways can be useful., You'll want the car low so raised spindles are necessary and adj. steering arm height, yw/ SC/Carrera body you can fit up to 8 & 9.5 wheels but nothing more than a 275 tire 225//45 & 255/40 x17 fit well 235/40 &275/40 not so much , 235/40 & 275/35 would be great if you can find them

brakes can drain you wallet, stock A/M is ok w/ care and some TLC, 930s are the gold standard ,anything more is usually not necessary.

build as much aero as you can into the car
Old 08-16-2024, 04:52 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 166 Posts

I race a fully-developed '67 911 racecar, and I street drive a '69 911T, a 2014 911TurboS, and a 2019 Cayman GTS. If you are wondering how a 'built' mid-'70s 911 will handle, compared to your GT4RS, they are in different universes and always will be, no matter how much money you spend. With all due respect, from your question I wonder whether a Porsche 911 from the air-cooled era is really for you?

Last edited by raspritz; 08-16-2024 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Handling ?