Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche 2.7 sc deck lid aux fan??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 07:58 PM
fya32
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 2.7 sc deck lid aux fan??

Thinking into installing 2 cooling fans in the deck lid area facing-upwards to suck hot air from the engine compartment since the hot air has no room to escape underneath because of the metal cover surrounding all over the engine bay.

What do you guys think about this idea? will it improve cooling? it would be a way cheaper alternative than installing fender cooler with all the oil lines etc..

has anyone tried doing it? maybe as well installing it to blow cold air instead of sucking hot air if it helps?

ps: i dont want someone to tell me “just install an oil cooler and thats it” , i know aux oil cooler will help cooling the engine but i am just thinking about a cheaper and alternative way of doing it because if it will work it will help a lot of people who don’t want to spend 800+ on oil cooler and another 800+ on labor (not everyone has the knowledge to work on their own cars)

Last edited by fya32; 08-14-2024 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2024, 08:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

No. Don’t do this.

Keep in mind you have a huge fan on the engine, that fan sucks air IN from the top and DOWN to the ground to cool the engine/heads, and it also blows through the on-engine oil cooler.

That metal cover is called an engine shroud, and it is there in design to create a pressure difference from the top and bottom of the engine where the engine fan blows.

If you put fans on the lid that blow UP you are now working against the fan sucking air IN.

I see you are in Kuwait. Gets hot there. Install a secondary oil cooler if you have a 2.7 with no cooler. it makes a huge difference, and you can put an extra fan on that. I know, it’s expensive but it works, and engine rebuilds are WAY more expensive.

Old 08-14-2024, 09:03 PM
fya32
AutoX

Originally Posted by Spyerx
No. Don’t do this.

Keep in mind you have a huge fan on the engine, that fan sucks air IN from the top and DOWN to the ground to cool the engine/heads, and it also blows through the on-engine oil cooler.

That metal cover is called an engine shroud, and it is there in design to create a pressure difference from the top and bottom of the engine where the engine fan blows.

If you put fans on the lid that blow UP you are now working against the fan sucking air IN.

I see you are in Kuwait. Gets hot there. Install a secondary oil cooler if you have a 2.7 with no cooler. it makes a huge difference, and you can put an extra fan on that. I know, it’s expensive but it works, and engine rebuilds are WAY more expensive.

but will it work if i installed the secondary oil cooler on the rear side fender instead of front? the reason why i asked because it will almost cut out half of the price of a whole oil cooler lines if i am going to install it on the front fender side since it will be far a away which will need oil lines which means more $$ , but i guess installing it in the rear fender will no need to install oil lines only short hoses/lines and cooler
Old 08-15-2024, 11:41 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

what is a 2.7 SC ?

they never made that car.
you must be talking about a 2.7S as all SCs had external oil cooler.

if you cant ford to own and maintain a 911.. then don't... this cheap *** method to try and save a few bucks on an air cooled classic is ridiculous.

Last edited by theiceman; 08-15-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2024, 11:50 AM
fya32
AutoX

Originally Posted by theiceman
what is a 2.7 SC ?

they never made that car.
you must be talking about a 2.7S as all SCs had external oil cooler.

if you cant ford to own and maintain a 911.. then don't... this cheap *** method to try and save a few bucks on an air cooled classic is ridiculous.

i dont recall if i said that i can’t afford owning or maintaining a porsche but yes sure i am just gonna ignore you and laugh on what you said

thanks tho😂
Old 08-16-2024, 11:48 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by fya32
but will it work if i installed the secondary oil cooler on the rear side fender instead of front? the reason why i asked because it will almost cut out half of the price of a whole oil cooler lines if i am going to install it on the front fender side since it will be far a away which will need oil lines which means more $$ , but i guess installing it in the rear fender will no need to install oil lines only short hoses/lines and cooler
You could use really any oil cooler radiator that could fit, including in the rear tire wells if you have a sufficient fan. In some cases people install air conditioning radiators there (you need to protect them from stones with a shield). However having it int he nose is more efficient as that is where the air flows.

The hard lines aren't cheap, but they don't have to be hard lines, you could use soft hydraulic lines. Use the factory lines to the thermostat that sits in front of the right rear tire, use the factory / OEM thermostat, then use whatever lines, and then you can use any oil radiator that fits in the nose, you can put one on the right side, or one on left and right side.

Thing is the 911 chassis doesn't leave a lot of room for 'stuff' so you have to work within some of those limitations.

But your original question was a fan on the deck lid to pull heat out, no, don't do that.
Old 08-18-2024, 02:19 AM
bavareze
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fya32
Thinking into installing 2 cooling fans in the deck lid area facing-upwards to suck hot air from the engine compartment since the hot air has no room to escape underneath because of the metal cover surrounding all over the engine bay.

as far as I know, the car is designed to take air in through the deck lid and push it down around the cylinders for cooling. If you want to reverse the flow through the deck lid, then you will have to reverse the air flow cooling the engine, so it sucks air from underneath the car and out through the deck lid. This would be a revolutionary design, but why? What would you be achieving?

Quick Reply: Porsche 2.7 sc deck lid aux fan??