Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Two questions for SC/Carrera owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:08 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two questions for SC/Carrera owners

Does anyone have the Vortex repro Carrera tail on their car (it has the factory rubber piece)? It just seems so low priced, if it's the same as factory, it would seem like a no brainer. Then again, you usually get what you pay for, so I thought I'd ask the forum...

With respect to alignment, can anyone share with me what alignment setting they run for a 911 that will see autox and DE use on the racetracks (but also street)? I saw in the 101 Projects book that front positive camber is recommended on the car? That just doesn't seem right to me...I can't imagine that being good for performance. I could see this helping with oversteer, but you still want the car to turn. I was thinking front negative of 1.5 or so, and negative rear of 2 or so (or whatever I can get out of the suspension after lowering it).

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The books definition of slightly positive is for street driven cars. For the track and particularly autocross -- you want as much negative as you can get on front; but, you are probably limited to close to -1.1 (or thereabouts). Negative 1.5 would be fair if you can get it without more help. That and anything less and you will certainly cord the outside 1/3 of your front tires. You need to clean the goop off the top or the strut and open up that housing (top of strut - gentle persuasion) and maybe even slot the strut mount holes. you get negative camber by lowering - but go too low and you also get unfavorable suspension geometry which makes the handling diabolical. For autocross you can get really good turn in with 1/8 inch toe out on front, but this would be a bit much for the track.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:03 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Harold, for the input! I suspected that the positive camber suggested in 101 Projects was for street use. I wonder, though, why the author would assume that this is where the average reader wants to go performance-wise with their 911...surely the average reader is performance minded, or they are likely just bringing their car to the dealer rather than working on it themself! Oh, well. What do you recommend for the rear settings? I'm thinking 1/16 to 1/8 toe in while maxing out the camber there. (I figure that at speed or under braking this setting will actually become 0 toe...I wouldn't want the setting to go into the positive range under these conditions on the track, especially in a 911! What do you think?

Quick Reply: Two questions for SC/Carrera owners