Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cab Top Care

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 05:23 PM
David Evans
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cab Top Care

My fist post here--hi everyone. I just purchased an '87 Cab (great condition, 39K miles, top's in great shape), after owning an '84 Targa for many years. I'm new to the experience of cleaning and caring for a 911 convertible top and have a few basic questions:

1. Cleaning the plastic rear window--just soap and water and a soft cloth or mitt, or should I be using something like autosol, or meguiar's plastic cleaner and polish (if so, use every time car is washed)? Use same treatment on the inside of the window too? Clean, rub, or polish with back and forth motion, up and down, or in circular pattern (I'm guessing not the latter).

2. Cleaning the fabric top--just soap and water, or something else like autosol convertible top cleaner followed by autosol impregnating agent (if so, clean w/soap and water first)?

3. Car covers--seems like anything that's lined with flannel, etc. is going to cause fuzz to come off on the top. Should I go for unlined 100% cotton, or one of the synthetic materials that's supposedly breathable (e.g., "tyvek" from Performance Products or "nextec," new from Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories)? Any opinions about whether any of these synthetic covers in fact breathe? I live near the ocean in Los Angeles (so not too much rain and no freezing temperatures), and the car will be garaged or under a carport most of the time, but sometimes parked outside.

Any opinions about quality of BHMA vs. Perf. Products car covers?

4. When putting the power convertible top down, what do people think about unzipping the rear window vs. not unzipping?

Thanks for indulging such elementary questions.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:40 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

David,

Congrats and welcome to the Top Down Club!

Larry Reynolds of Car Care Online has written some good info on caring for Cabriolet tops: Caring for a Convertible Top

As far as unzipping the rear window -- yes, I'm in the Pro-Unzipping Camp! It helps to keep the rear window from getting creases. I also put a black (to match the cab. top) towel over the window before folding -- it helps to prevent scratches. This was recommended by the upholstery shop owner who replaced my cab. top.

Hope this helps!

-- Melissa
Old 10-31-2001, 11:24 AM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Melissa is right on with the towel.

A convertible top is best kept with warm water, a stiff brush, and a rinse. Soap dries the material, leading to cracking. Alcohol-based solvents that "clean" the top will dry it out quickly.

How do I know? Wife owned a VW Cabriolet (nice car!) with the white top/interior. I labored over keeping that top clean and finally figured out that 1) keep the car covered 2) rinse and brush the top often.

Jw
Old 10-31-2001, 03:42 PM
David Evans
Cruisin'

Originally posted by MelissaM:
<STRONG>David,

Larry Reynolds of Car Care Online has written some good info on caring for Cabriolet tops: Caring for a Convertible Top

As far as unzipping the rear window -- yes, I'm in the Pro-Unzipping Camp! It helps to keep the rear window from getting creases. I also put a black (to match the cab. top) towel over the window before folding -- it helps to prevent scratches. This was recommended by the upholstery shop owner who replaced my cab. top.

Hope this helps!

-- Melissa</STRONG>
Old 10-31-2001, 03:48 PM
David Evans
Cruisin'

Originally posted by MelissaM:
<STRONG>David,

Hope this helps!

-- Melissa</STRONG>
Melissa,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've looked at carcareonline, which was helpful. May be a stupid question, but do you put the towel just on the outside of the window (that's my impression when I've heard this suggested)? Couldn't the other (in) side also get scratched/scuffed? And do you use any particular products to clean/polish yours? Thanks much for the advice.

David
Old 11-01-2001, 03:50 PM
David Evans
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Jdub:
<STRONG>Melissa is right on with the towel.

A convertible top is best kept with warm water, a stiff brush, and a rinse. Soap dries the material, leading to cracking. Alcohol-based solvents that "clean" the top will dry it out quickly.

How do I know? Wife owned a VW Cabriolet (nice car!) with the white top/interior. I labored over keeping that top clean and finally figured out that 1) keep the car covered 2) rinse and brush the top often.

Jw</STRONG>
Thanks, John. Makes sense not to use soap more often than necessary.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:01 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi, David,

There's no such thing as a stupid question here. (OK, maybe you wouldn't want to ask if a 911 cab is better than a Hyundai, but I'm sure there are those who could argue the virtues of a Hyundai.)

But I digress...

Anyway, I put the towel over the part of the plastic window that faces outside when the top is up. That way it's protected from the top folding onto it. I haven't noticed any scratches caused by having the inner part of the top come into contact with the carpeting. Here's my routine:

1. Unzip the top.
2. Put the towel over the window.
3. Lower the top.
4. Put the tonneau cover on.

Oh, and always park on a level surface when raising/lowering the top. It helps to keep the motors and top mechanism aligned properly.

As far as cabriolet care products go, I bought the Sonax cleaner and Porsche top conditioner from Larry at Car Care Online.

Usually, though, I rinse the top off when I wash my car. If it's gotten dirty, I'll clean it with the cleaner.

Hope this helps!

-- Melissa
Old 11-01-2001, 04:04 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

David,

Argh, I forgot to mention another thing...

For polishing the rear window, you can use Pledge. Yes, the furniture polish! Some use Meguiars -- if the window is scratched or yellowed, I hear that the Meguiar's products work really, really well.

Also, if the rear window is past the point of no return, you can have an auto upholstery shop replace it in the existing top.

Typically I'll wash the rear window with my car wash soap, and dry it with the terry cloth towel. But if the window is looking "tired", I'll bring out the Pledge.

-- Melissa
Old 11-02-2001, 06:42 PM
David Evans
Cruisin'

Melissa,

This is all very helpful. Thanks a lot for taking the time to share all your thoughts!

David
Old 11-02-2001, 06:51 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

David,

No problem. Enjoy the cab!

-- Melissa

Quick Reply: Cab Top Care