Did I buy a non desirable 911?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 10:59 AM
F8T and 911T
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS
I'm in FL and where did you buy yours ?
car was originally sold by Braman. I bought it with 900 miles from SE Auto Showroom.
The following users liked this post:
HOTCHKIS (06-01-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 01:58 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

there is no such thing as an undesirable 911.

the real test of this statement is when you see an '80s 911 forward-dated to look like a 993 and not done particularly well.
put it on BaT and watch all the haters complain for a week and then watch it sell for twice what you imagined.

so still desirable to someone.
Tmistry (05-31-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 02:28 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Agree one million percent that the 992 aerokit looks great and that is what I would choose.

As for the transmission and roof, while it is true that (if I were in the fortunate position to be buying a new T), I would opt for manual and fixed roof, that is far from meaning your car is undesirable.

I was picking up some parts at the dealer yesterday, and the only 992-generaion cars with a manual they had on hand were GT3s. So far the new 992/2s (GTS and base) are only offered with PDK, and I am not sure if there will be a manual option T.

On the one hand, if you had a manual T that you wanted to resell, it may command a bit of a premium IF you find the right buyer. But there are simply less and less people that want a manual, so the reality is it will probably be easier to sell your car with PDK... And the PDK is a great transmission.

My wish for you though is that you love that beautiful car so much that you never want to sell it and thus that all becomes moot.

In my opinion you have an outstanding car, congratulations!

Last edited by 500; 05-30-2024 at 02:30 PM.
F8T and 911T (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 05:00 PM
F8T and 911T
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
Agree one million percent that the 992 aerokit looks great and that is what I would choose.

As for the transmission and roof, while it is true that (if I were in the fortunate position to be buying a new T), I would opt for manual and fixed roof, that is far from meaning your car is undesirable.

I was picking up some parts at the dealer yesterday, and the only 992-generaion cars with a manual they had on hand were GT3s. So far the new 992/2s (GTS and base) are only offered with PDK, and I am not sure if there will be a manual option T.

On the one hand, if you had a manual T that you wanted to resell, it may command a bit of a premium IF you find the right buyer. But there are simply less and less people that want a manual, so the reality is it will probably be easier to sell your car with PDK... And the PDK is a great transmission.

My wish for you though is that you love that beautiful car so much that you never want to sell it and thus that all becomes moot.

In my opinion you have an outstanding car, congratulations!
thank you buddy…. And ya, since I got it to use as my daily driver and have the F8 for special days and things, the PDK and glass sunroof work better for me… it’s not like I’m looking for performance and racing equipment or to save 100 pounds etc, I already have the Ferrari for that. And YES, the aerokit and sport design bumpers make a WORLD of difference for me aesthetically.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:09 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
So far the new 992/2s (GTS and base) are only offered with PDK, and I am not sure if there will be a manual option T.
Did you see that Porsche just announced the 2025 GTS will be a hybrid? It will have an electric motor inside the PDK gearbox, and it will have just one turbo driven by another electric motor for better response. That electric turbo sounds cool, but not sure how I feel about the hybrid drivetrain.

https://www.pca.org/news/porsche-unv...-other-updates

Mark
Old 05-31-2024, 03:35 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Did you see that Porsche just announced the 2025 GTS will be a hybrid? It will have an electric motor inside the PDK gearbox, and it will have just one turbo driven by another electric motor for better response. That electric turbo sounds cool, but not sure how I feel about the hybrid drivetrain.

https://www.pca.org/news/porsche-unv...-other-updates

Mark
It will be interesting to see how the hybrid is received. Certainly looks good on paper. The turbo is actually the part I like the most. This cutaway from the Porsche site shows nicely how they integrated the electric motor. Seems like a really intelligent way to manage lag. For this reason, apparently the GTS will now have just one turbo. I think the base 992 will continue with two smaller "conventional" turbos.

Old 05-31-2024, 04:39 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

i like the electric turbo too. the language in the press release says it reduces turbo lag from 3 seconds to under 1 second.

maybe there's a possibility of retrofitting this turbo on older models.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:32 PM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
i like the electric turbo too. the language in the press release says it reduces turbo lag from 3 seconds to under 1 second.

maybe there's a possibility of retrofitting this turbo on older models.
Unfortunately, I'm not holding out hope of retrofitting this easily. That electric turbo requires alot more power than a traditional 12V system can provide. The hybrid system operates on higher voltage, possibly 400V if the article is right, with the small battery pack providing the initial boost to the fan inside at low rpms, thus reducing the lag. There was a scion/miata kit going about a few years ago that did something similar, but it was more like a electrically powered turbine that had nothing to do with exhaust gas.

Just reading more into this though, there is going to be significantly more engineering required for a plug in hybrid 911. True to Porsche form, this hybrid system has everything to do with sports car performance without change to driving dynamics of the 911, and is unlike a traditional hybrid powertrain that I was expecting them to announce.

That being said, an electrically assisted turbo or electrically powered turbine likely has killed the traditional supercharger (fan powered by ICE crankshaft).

Last edited by paranoidandroid; 05-31-2024 at 08:42 PM.
jfischet (06-02-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 08:06 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F8T and 911T
Not sure if this were to post this as this site is confusing AF lol. But I just bought a 2023 Carrera T for my daily. I’ve tried to watch videos about them as I don’t know anything about Porsche because I’ve never liked them aesthetically….. but I really like this one. However, based on what I’ve seen online, it seems to be VERY different than what everyone else has which leads me to believe it’s a ‘wrong’ spec. I mean, I don’t care really since it’s pleasing aesthetically to me over the others… mine has PDK which is contrary to every single video I watch raving that the whole greatness of the T is the availability of a manual but I didn’t want manual for my daily and I heard the PDK is fantastic. So that’s one difference. Also, it has the glass roof and sunroof (which I love), it has the rear seats added back in and it has the aerokit- ALL of which add weight back to it which is contrary to another ‘selling point’ of the T. But again, the aerokit is a MUST for me as I don’t like the look without it and the roof is great to have also here in south Florida. Lastly, it also has different front and rear bumpers than almost all the ones I see for sale or in videos… and for me, it’s a MUCH better look. I think it’s called a sport design or something. So I guess the question is, are the manual transmissions selling for more money like many other brands or is it kind of the same as PDK with Porsches? And why on earth are there SO FEW equipped with the aerokit? Am I the only one who thinks it makes the car 100% as far as looks go? Anyway, something feels weird about this one but maybe it’s only because of my lack of knowledge with 911’s… thanks for any input. Feel free to slam me and tell me I bought a bastard of a car or support the spec. Either way, I appreciate any insight. Thanks guys. I’m gonna try to post some pics but don’t know how or if I can… here goes….

I think your car is beautiful. I previously owned a yellow 1980 911, and when I put together the build for my 2011 997.2 order, I was down to two colors, black and Speed Yellow. I ultimately chose to go with black, but after seeing yours, I’m second guessing myself.

Mike
F8T and 911T (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 10:11 AM
F8T and 911T
Instructor

Originally Posted by mk85911
I think your car is beautiful. I previously owned a yellow 1980 911, and when I put together the build for my 2011 997.2 order, I was down to two colors, black and Speed Yellow. I ultimately chose to go with black, but after seeing yours, I’m second guessing myself.

Mike
ha, nice…. I love black but my Ferrari is black so wanted some contrast. I pick it up tonight finally so I’m pretty excited actually. And I don’t get excited often lol… I can’t believe I bought a Porsche when I was always known as the I hate Porsche guy 😂 On another note, I’m also in shock (and it’s just hitting me now after I already bought it) that the price is way more than I thought. I always thought Porsches were like 60-80k…. I know that sounds re*arded but…. Will find out tonight and tomorrow if I love it or not.
Old 06-02-2024, 07:45 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 237 Posts

Beautiful car. Now go out and drive the snot out of it. You will love it. All of our Porsche sports cars have over 100K miles on them and we drive them constantly. Enjoy racking up miles on that amazing non-turbo (but turbocharged) "T."
F8T and 911T (06-02-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 02:51 PM
Slank
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean!
Old 06-12-2024, 08:17 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by F8T and 911T
Not sure if this were to post this as this site is confusing AF lol. But I just bought a 2023 Carrera T for my daily. I’ve tried to watch videos about them as I don’t know anything about Porsche because I’ve never liked them aesthetically….. but I really like this one. However, based on what I’ve seen online, it seems to be VERY different than what everyone else has which leads me to believe it’s a ‘wrong’ spec. I mean, I don’t care really since it’s pleasing aesthetically to me over the others… mine has PDK which is contrary to every single video I watch raving that the whole greatness of the T is the availability of a manual but I didn’t want manual for my daily and I heard the PDK is fantastic. So that’s one difference. Also, it has the glass roof and sunroof (which I love), it has the rear seats added back in and it has the aerokit- ALL of which add weight back to it which is contrary to another ‘selling point’ of the T. But again, the aerokit is a MUST for me as I don’t like the look without it and the roof is great to have also here in south Florida. Lastly, it also has different front and rear bumpers than almost all the ones I see for sale or in videos… and for me, it’s a MUCH better look. I think it’s called a sport design or something. So I guess the question is, are the manual transmissions selling for more money like many other brands or is it kind of the same as PDK with Porsches? And why on earth are there SO FEW equipped with the aerokit? Am I the only one who thinks it makes the car 100% as far as looks go? Anyway, something feels weird about this one but maybe it’s only because of my lack of knowledge with 911’s… thanks for any input. Feel free to slam me and tell me I bought a bastard of a car or support the spec. Either way, I appreciate any insight. Thanks guys. I’m gonna try to post some pics but don’t know how or if I can… here goes….

Great looking T. I love the aero kit, and while I wouldn't have gone with pdk, the sunroof, or the rear seats, it really doesn't matter as long as you like those options. After all, I won't be driving it, you will. Speaking of which, go out there and put some miles on it.

Quick Reply: Did I buy a non desirable 911?