Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help identifying thing in front of oil fill neck

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024 | 10:03 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Default Help identifying thing in front of oil fill neck

Hi Rennlisters,

I'm coming back to my SC after a break. I had a bunch of things addressed by a local indy and I'm still recovering from the experience. Looking over the engine, i'm eliminating some of the extraneous items related to my recently deleted A/C system and looking to clean out anything unneeded.

Can you guys help me identify the following:

What is the part marked with blue X?

And the following hoses seem loose. Can anyone identify?

The hoses marked in blue I need help with. The red marks are on the new fuel lines. They look a little oddly routed. Is it just me?

What is this? Is the bent washer a means of locking and thus correct?

Thanks guys. I'm embarrassed to ask this stuff! I've done lots of my own work over the years on my cars, but I'm obviously not an expert.

Happy Memorial Day to all in the States.
Old 05-24-2024 | 11:45 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

The “can” near the oil fill looks like a charcoal canister and a part of the system to stop fuel vapors leaking into the atmosphere. I have never owned an SC so not familiar with this particular system. However, it is a very common to run a hose from fuel tank to an expansion chamber near the tank, followed all the way back to this canister. Air flow is likely assisted by the fan, so most likely a hose to the fan housing and then one out of the canister to the intake to burn off the vapor. There is most likely one hose from the front of the car all the way to the back for this.

I see that your engine pad is missing. If you can lower the engine a bit and replace with a new, it would clean things up nicely.

Last edited by Igooz; 05-25-2024 at 12:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tmistry (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024 | 12:48 PM
ammonman
Rennlist Member

The item in the fist pic is the charcoal canister for the fuel vapor system. As Igooz mentioned, there is a hose from the fuel tank to an expansion chamber at the front of the car. The chamber is connected via a long 1/8" hose/tube combination from the front of the car to one of the ports on the front of the charcoal canister. The second port on the front of the canister is connected to the left side of the air filter housing below the air filter. The port facing the rear of the car is the fresh air port that allows fresh air to be drawn through the canister, removing the vapors and flowing into the air filter housing to be burned. On some cars there is a hose from that port to the fan shroud while on others it is simply open to the engine compartment.

As far as the blue-marked hoses, the larger one might be the purge line from the canister to the air cleaner housing mentioned above. The other might be a vacuum hose left over if the car had cruise that has been removed. The vacuum servo for cruise control mounts to the bracket just to the right of the shock tower. The two-pin wire connector to the left of the shock tower is the power for the cruise vacuum servo. As far as the fuel lines, as long as they aren't kinked or rubbing on anything that would wear a hole they should be fine as long as the car runs.

The bent washer in the last photo is as you suspected. That is the connection for the rear fender brace.

Last edited by ammonman; 05-25-2024 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tmistry (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024 | 08:25 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Igooz and @ammonman

Much appreciated, i'll review and get more familiar with the fuel vapor system. I did remove the Cruise Control and I believe you're correct on the vacuum hose left over.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help identifying thing in front of oil fill neck