2.4 Warm Engine Cut-Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 07:22 AM
OilKlappe72
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 Warm Engine Cut-Out

Hi All

My first time posting and I’m really hoping for some insight into a perplexing engine problem.

I’m in Melbourne Australia and have a '63 356B and a ’72 911T.
It's the 911 that's giving me trouble.

1) It starts great, runs strong for about 10 minutes,
2) As the oil temp reaches 180-190F, the engine runs rough and cuts out immediately.
3) It then turns over very slowly and IF it starts again is impossibly rough and dies.

Approx 4 hours later it has cooled down and starts great again.
Total reset. See items 1-3 above.

Without fail the symptoms repeat on every occasion I attempt a drive, remaining in my local neighbourhood.

History and Maintenance:

I bought the car from CPR in Fallbrook in 2018. Engine rebuild to 2.45S Spec included.

I drove the it for about 300miles around California. It started fine, though was tight to turn over when hot (I figured new engine) but ran great.
Short and long stints, no issues.

Shipped it back to Australia just as Covid hit and she sat in my mechanic's workshop for almost 3 years until I was able to get it certified for Aus roadworthy.

In the later stages of that stationary period:
MFI was found to be internally corroded. Sent to Eissenbrandt in Germany for a full restoration.
New fuel tank installed along with a new pump and filter
2 new batteries
Serviced and retuned and sounded great in the workshop.

I have had two classic Porsche experts tell me they now think it may need to be align bored. They believe the temperature is causing the crank to tighten up hence the cut out and very slow turnover when attempting a hot restart.
I have paperwork to suggest the case was aligned during the rebuild. However, other than photos shared by CPR during the build, I can’t be sure exactly what was done to my engine.

It has a sombre total of only 350miles on it since rebuild and unlikely to add many more until I can solve the roadblock.

I have sent off a oil sample to Blackstone laboratories which to hasn’t revealed any significant worn bearing evidence.

I genuinely appreciate any thoughts of how to progress prior to allowing my trusted mechanic to pull down what is effectively a zero time engine.
Scott
Melbourne

Last edited by OilKlappe72; 05-10-2024 at 08:38 AM. Reason: remove pictures

Quick Reply: 2.4 Warm Engine Cut-Out