Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

G50 3.2 common problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 06:52 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 164 Posts

Yup, that's the one ...
The hard part will be to grind off the rivets that hold the OEM rubber bushing in place !

Cheers
Phil
Old 04-26-2024, 10:55 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by eggsandwich
Oh yes, DME relay...read lots of confusing threads there...will need to work that one out.

Is that a "if it breaks, fix it then?" Or is a good idea to proactively do that?
I think most people just carry a spare. It fits under the driver's seat. Even if you replaced your current relay with a new one, there is no guarantee how long it will last, especially since they are probably made in China now.

Mark
Old 04-27-2024, 10:49 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
I think most people just carry a spare. It fits under the driver's seat. Even if you replaced your current relay with a new one, there is no guarantee how long it will last, especially since they are probably made in China now.

Mark
I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.

I have one (with the pump prime feature) and it's been great.

https://www.ftech9.com/new-products/911-ssr

The following users liked this post:
Mlrjr (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

When I had my 3.2 these are the main issues you hear about, generally very reliable cars, I do suspect at some point we start to see DME issues due to age (there are companies that repair them):

The rubber centered clutch. unless you have a very low mile car its likely been replaced

I didn't realize the shift coupler posted here was an issue

Valve guides, can wear (bronze material?) an indication is run up to redline in 2nd gear (when warmed up) and let off gas, you'll see smoke as oil is pulled by guides into combustion chamber

The AC system generally sucks

The auto heat if equipped has a common failure point at the exhaust temp sensor, which will render the variable heat ineffective. you can bypass the sensor (short it) or replace it

DME relays but that isn't unique to 3.2

Frankly, not much, they are very reliable cars
eggsandwich (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 02:05 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

I've taken my G50 3.2 from 120K to 200K miles. No real issues. Maintenance stuff of course such as brakes, axle boots, clutch, suspension junk, anything made of rubber, and random oil leaks caused by seals going. There are certain things that should be taken car of preemptively such as the crank and position sensors but the car itself is well built.

The DME I had an issue with once after I did a big winter overhaul on the car. I needed to open it up and resolder a large component. Been fine since.

Early on in their lives the 3.2 had a problem with leaking intake valve guides. That should have all been replaced by now. These aren't like the 1st water cooled 911 engines that can develop some very expensive problems.
eggsandwich (04-29-2024)

Quick Reply: G50 3.2 common problems?