Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

removal of rear spoiler on older 911 SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 02:57 PM
jim_rosenthal
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removal of rear spoiler on older 911 SC

I am buying an older 911 coupe (1982 Carrera SC), which has the rear spoiler from new. This is not a Turbo car- it is a garden variety 911. I prefer the look of this generation of 911s without the rear spoiler and would like to remove it. I did a search but did not find anything specifically on this- how to remove the spoiler, what to do about attachment holes if any, making it reversible in the event that I sell the car and the next owner wishes to reattach it. Would it be simpler just to fit a different cover to the engine area?

Thanks in advance for constructive advice. I am new to 911s and air-cooled Porsches in general.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:58 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 197 Likes on 141 Posts

I agree narrow bodied cars do not look good with that big turbo look spoiler installed. However if the car came with it from the factory you should leave it. On the other hand, you really cannot remove it as it will leave big holes in the deck lid. SO what I would do is remove the complete deck lid with spoiler and buy a good used no spoiler rear deck lid, paint it and install it and save the original assembly for the next buyer
Old 02-24-2024, 05:39 PM
jim_rosenthal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. 914
I agree narrow bodied cars do not look good with that big turbo look spoiler installed. However if the car came with it from the factory you should leave it. On the other hand, you really cannot remove it as it will leave big holes in the deck lid. SO what I would do is remove the complete deck lid with spoiler and buy a good used no spoiler rear deck lid, paint it and install it and save the original assembly for the next buyer

Any suggestions on where to find a used rear deck lid without a spoiler? I appreciate your advice and thank you.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:38 PM
rowingone
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17579143931...wtPDQpVCZezIc8
Old 02-24-2024, 08:01 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jim_rosenthal
Any suggestions on where to find a used rear deck lid without a spoiler? I appreciate your advice and thank you.
Hi Jim, welcome to Rennlist! Looking forward to seeing some photos of your new car and helping you to get to know it.

One of the more active used parts boards is over at Pelican Parts. Also a very active 911 forum. Here are the classifieds: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...s-sale-wanted/

You could post a WTB ad, but make sure you buy from an established member. There are always stories of scammers replying to the WTB ads. But in general it is a safe place to shop for used parts. I've bought many.

Mark
Old 02-24-2024, 08:24 PM
jim_rosenthal
Rennlist Member

Thank you! I will do exactly that!
Old 02-24-2024, 08:33 PM
jim_rosenthal
Rennlist Member

Default rear deck lid

The exact piece I need is on the Pelican forum site, a red 911 rear deck lid, looks like it's in Canada, but their web site won't let me register and contact the seller. I'll keep trying. Thank you for the suggestion, it took me all of two minutes to find it.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:00 PM
rowingone
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

click on the sellers user name on the left hand side of his post and send him a Private Message
Old 02-24-2024, 10:49 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jim_rosenthal
The exact piece I need is on the Pelican forum site, a red 911 rear deck lid, looks like it's in Canada, but their web site won't let me register and contact the seller. I'll keep trying. Thank you for the suggestion, it took me all of two minutes to find it.
I saw that too. If you live in California there are going to be more around and maybe you can even pick it up.

If you buy the one in Quebec, you should know there will be mounting holes under the 911S logo.

Not sure why you can't register, although lately the Pelican website has occasionally had some issues.

Mark

Old 02-25-2024, 07:45 AM
jim_rosenthal
Rennlist Member

I wrote to Pelican, but they won't see it till Monday. That's okay, there are some of them out there, like you say. I'm in MD.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:31 PM
Franco44
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a quick suggestion: I did not look at the ad that has been referenced above but I have done this project. I bought a rear deck lid from an SC, had the holes welded up, painted, bought a used grill, painted that black and bought the additional hardware to attach the grill. I love the look but the metallic paint was hard to match so not perfect. I love the look without the whale tail (for now that is ) but the welding (911SC badge and tail made 9 holes to fill) and paint was about $900. Add the grill, hardware etc and I was at about $1400. If I had to do over again I might have purchased a new deck lid instead of having the holes welded. Just my thoughts. Photo included.
Have fun,
Frank

Old 03-23-2024, 10:27 PM
jim_rosenthal
Rennlist Member

Thank you! Fine looking car, cleaner than mine. It's finally here with me, so I can start shopping for a used deck lid and get it painted.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:51 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 407 Posts

. . and will this fit on a 992 Turbo S?
Old 03-26-2024, 11:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
. . and will this fit on a 992 Turbo S?
huh ??
you are on a 911 forum , not a 992 forum . in case you weren't sure.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:01 PM
jim_rosenthal
Rennlist Member

Progress- the spoiler is off the deck lid. The deck lid is still in place; I'm going to order an aftermarket grille for it, which I don't think is too hard to install. I'm also looking for another deck lid with no holes; it may be cheaper to just find another used one, especially since my car is Guards Red and that was a popular color. So I might luck out and not have to weld or paint one.

Quick Reply: removal of rear spoiler on older 911 SC