Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Preferred Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004 | 02:18 PM
rebel911
2nd Gear

Talking Preferred Paint

Aloha Porsche Enthusiasts,

I am a newly registered member, and I am looking for some guidance. I am painting my 1981 Porsche 911SC. I have heard many stories about what paint to use, so I am confused on which to try. PPG seems to be the front runner. I am doing a base coat/clear coat. The car is primed and blocked out, I am ready to spray color (guards red if you must know). Any advise on PPG or other paints that I should consider would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rebel911

Old 06-14-2004 | 02:28 PM
kdriscoll
2nd Gear

I used diamont. Very good paint. I have been spraying paint for many years and I have found diamont and du-pont to be very good stuff.
Old 06-14-2004 | 03:32 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glasurit, its good enough for the factory.....
Old 06-15-2004 | 12:08 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Juan,
That is one good looking front yard in your avatar. You take lawn art to the next level!!

Rebel 911, you may also want to post this question on the 993 board and the 964 board, just so you can have multiple opinions. The more total opinions you get, the better off you'll be making a decision.

Good luck, and Rat-a-tat-tat!!

Robert
Old 06-16-2004 | 12:49 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love my landscaping!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2004 | 04:49 AM
kyle robert moore
Instructor

rebel,

my sc is in for paint and its being painted with dupont. the paint shop swears by this paint. he explaiuns that with dupont he doesnt need to use thinner for the clear coat, giving it a deeper shine......he went deeper into it than i could follow, but dupont base and clear will be on my car.

kyle
Old 06-17-2004 | 03:27 PM
rebel911
2nd Gear

To everyone that responded, thank you. I have decided to go with diamont paint. The gentleman actually spraying the car is most comfortable with it, and I have seen some of the cars that he has done. I will let you all know how it turns out and wheter or not I will recommend the paint to others.

Rebel911
Old 06-18-2004 | 12:01 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, (and the guy who holds the paint gun). Bottom line, if you are happy with the outcome, to hell with everyone else. If others on this board and your painter are satisfied with this paint, you're probably fine.

The reality is, the difference between PPG, DuPont, Diamont, etc..... is probably something that paint experts could look at and say, "Oh yes, that is definitely (fill in the blank) paint because of (fill in blank again)!!", but to the rest of us we would not have a clue unless they pointed out some obscure point of reference. All that means is, if the guy holding the gun is worth a $hit, you'll probably love the paint job regardless of brand.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2004 | 01:29 PM
CSmith
Rennlist Member

Good luck with the paint job. Just for reference and the archives, I used a 3 stage DuPont system but on the last stage (the clearcoat) I used Glasurit. The painter had never done this before but so far it has held up great. Also, the stone chip protector that you can add to the paint works very well for the front bumper. I think it softens the paint so it "gives" a bit upon being blasted with rocks.

Quick Reply: Preferred Paint