Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

how to replace broken right door lever (interior) ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 06:25 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default how to replace broken right door lever (interior) ?

ok so the right lever is broken and i already ordered the OEM part 9115312520070B

does anyone know how to replace it? where can i find the tutotial?

thanks
Old 02-12-2024, 01:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

i have taken the handles and interior door cards off many time, i dont remember being that difficult, i think its pretty intuitive. i don't remember using instructions. are you talking about the plastic black thing on the inside ?
Old 02-12-2024, 01:06 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

Yea the plastic handle inside. To be honest im planning to totally repalce the door panel but in the meantime ill fix it with a 15$ aftermarket lever
Old 02-12-2024, 01:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i think if you take the door topper off you reveal bolts holding the top of the handle, then you push up on the activating lever for the piece that broke and it pops out, , i think you see more bolts back there. , and there may be a screw holding the pocket on , then the whole handle should pull away and you should be able to figure out your lever.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:22 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

does it mean i need to take off the entire panel? mmm if so i rather order the full-door RS style panel....
Old 02-12-2024, 01:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

no i don't think so , just the topper .. its been a while , im sure others will chime in .
Old 02-12-2024, 02:24 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

You should be able to replace the plastic door opener without taking off the door card. What part broke on yours? The place where the metal lever from inside the door is connected?

You'll have to remove the door pocket so you can slide out the pin that the handle hinges on. Here is a pretty good tutorial: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...r-handles.html

Mark
Old 02-12-2024, 02:29 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

just the lever was cracked and broke

yeah, I found a video where they say to remove just the C clips or just one even.
probably i can take off anyways the bottom velvety pockets to have better access/view

Old 02-12-2024, 02:51 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Another solution approach to consider ...

When I first got my '85 (same handles as yours), I found myself often explaining to my passenger to not worry about breaking the lever when opening the door. It did seem to take some effort and the plastic would flex. But nothing ever broke.

I first solved the problem by upgrading to aluminum handles (probably bought from Automotion or similar), so there was no flex and no fear of breakage, but force still required. Then by tuning the hinges and door striker plates a little better, things now lock and unlock much better. My car is a cabriolet, so flex, etc. are different for the door and body - when things don't line up perfectly, it takes a little extra. BTW, similar tuning on the front trunk and decklid led to improvements unlatching and latching those - no parts changes, just careful adjustment.

I don't remember any procedure for changing the inner door handles, so they are probably pretty easy and obvious. I know, easy for me to say now. Good luck.

Last edited by oldskewel; 02-12-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:00 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

yeah I saw the metal ones...there are even some sweet black matte racing/perforated version

my doubt is whether to keep the entire door panels or not (and upgrade to RS America style sold on Pelican Parts)

I do HATE the velvety lower box... I didn't see any nicer solutions for it
ideas?

Quick Reply: how to replace broken right door lever (interior) ?