antenna replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 01:55 PM
itsme-itsme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question antenna replacement

At first glace, it appears the antenna on my 78 SC can only be reached by opening the drivers door and working through the opening. I haven't looked closely but if there's easier access I'd like to know before I scrape my hands up!
Does anyone have tips? I'm replacing a broken manual with a new OEM manual. Search shows nothing.
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Perkins
Advanced

interesting. The antenna on my '80 SC is located on the front passenger fender and the motor - is just below in the front right wheel well. Very accessible.

I'm always intrigued by the different antenna locations Porsche chose to go with..
Old 06-10-2004, 02:33 PM
itsme-itsme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea, this ones on the driver side front fender. My large hands don't help matters. I just haven't looked at it closely yet but it seems tight.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:27 AM
BoyT-911
Advanced

Default Antenna Installation....

I just received a manual replacement antenna for my '78SC and tried to install it without dismounting the driver side door. I was not able to place the antenna thru the fender/door opening for installation. The opening is too tight and could probably scratch the paint if I force it thru.

I will try to do it this weekend with the door off. Let us know if you could install it with the door mounted. Thanks.

TD
Old 06-11-2004, 05:26 PM
itsme-itsme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Boy-T,
I was hoping not to hear that. I won't get a chance to try it till next week. I may end up needing pointers on how to remove and replace a door. Let me know how your project goes. Anyone have a better solution?
Old 06-12-2004, 08:45 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the fender instead of the door. My door alignment is still perfect. I rigged 2 eye wood screws to my garage celing. I used small dia rope to hold the fender while removing and replacing. No scratches. I needed some body shop dum dum between the fender and tub and a new gas tank fender to tank neck seal. There was a very small amt of rust at the inner joint. It's a little slower than removing the door but there was plenty of bs to do while I was in there.. and NO Door Alignment Horrors.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:09 AM
itsme-itsme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hum? This is not looking so good. It appears there's a good reason the PO didn't replace it.
I'm gonna take a close look at it tonight. Wish me luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:23 PM
itsme-itsme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Angry

Boy-T was correct. Upon close inspection, it appears that the door must be removed to have room to get it in. I'm sure the fender could come off but that seems like an extreme solution. Either way, it sucks.
Luckily, my buddy does body work and has a shop at his house.

Boy-T, let me know how your install goes. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:52 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alligning the door is so much fun. good luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:01 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

I replaced the antenna on my '70, and found it rather easy. Place a heavy blanket on the door sill for support and to avoid scatches. I drove out the pins for the hinges and door stay and just removed the door. Do NOT touch the hinge position. Just remove the pins. When I put the door back on, it fit perfectly with no adjustment needed. I've done it twice.

Quick Reply: antenna replacement