Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Building a 1973 2.7 RS Replica

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 01:05 AM
993C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 1973 2.7 RS Replica

I've been longing to build a replica 73 RS for some time and now that I've been able to get my hands on a decently priced 73 911E, I'm ready to embark on this project but wondering how difficult or complicated is it to convert it to 80-90% RS Spec? I will have the help of my local Porsche mechanic to assist in the project.

I've ploughed thru this forum but have not been able to find what I am looking for. I know these early cars are not galvanized and have corrosion issues but assuming the shell is is good shape, where do I start looking for:

- RS parts, original new or used or replica parts
- Reputable engine and transmission rebuilder
- Recommended reading material on RS conversion

Thanks
Old 06-08-2004, 03:17 PM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

It looks like we're doing similiar project, however, I am not looking for 80 or 90% originality since that will cost a bomb to do and will not add much value in the end since it is still a replica.

I'm going with a later 87-89 3.2 or a 964 and just backdating the bodywork with fiberglass pieces from Mashaw or Gtracing, will lighten the car to maximize the performance, am not looking to recreate an exact replica. I will end up with the look I want but with a modern powertrain and suspension.

if you have a 73 body already all you need is the front bumper and rear ducktail to complete the exterior look, the strip kit are available. Finding original seats will be very very expensive.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:25 PM
joeblow
Advanced

I can put you guys in contact with the guy who imports these from Germany from the OEM factory brand new if you are interested!

These are in my 70' Rally car.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:56 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

How close do you want to come? You are not likely to find a source for thin sheet metal or Glaverbel glass. But you can make something even better if you want by using more modern technology.

Excellence has had lots of articles on these cars, and there was a good article in another mag - maybe European Car a few years ago. Search the Pelican forum for Webb + Calzia and you'll find some compendia to get you started.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:01 PM
SandyI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also contact the Early 911S Registry site. They are sticklers for originality and may help you search.

Another great source for seats is Vintageseats.com. Peter Z produces incredible RS replica seats. I own one and it ROCKS.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh my god those seats are awesome...must add to the "must buy" list!

Old 06-09-2004, 05:10 PM
heimbachracing
User

The seats pictures are from Bilstein. Cool seats, but far from OEM spec and certainly not porsche supplied.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:32 PM
salazarS2K
AutoX

993C4,

I would start my search on forums.pelicanparts.com for "replica" and "clone." There have been many topics on this. To get the look only, you need to add some RS flares or find some SC/Carerra flares to weld on to your early car. People have had good success with MAShaw bumpers and ducktail. The interior has early RS doorpanels and lightweight carpet from appbiz.com. The last finishing touch is the "Carerra" script and various decals. Oh, add some color coding to the wheels for a nice finish. Here is my car, backdated 1975 with MAShaw bumpers, and tail. Good luck and post some pictures!

Old 06-10-2004, 11:20 PM
993C4
Instructor

Hi salazarS2K,

Your car looks STUNNING! I'm gasping for air!

I've searched around and www.early911sregistry.org seems to have the most info on such replicas.

Do you know where I can find early 911 hoods and front fenders because I'm thinking of taking the 911SC route instead of the 73 911E because of rust issues and furthermore, the SC engine is a better engine. If I get a SC, are there any other body parts that needs to be replace other than the bumpers, hood, front fenders and boot lid?

How is Motormeister's reputation as far as engine/tranmission rebuilds are concerned?
Old 06-11-2004, 01:20 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Yes, the Early S board is a great source for details for making an RS replica. You might want to look around for someone else's completed (or nearly completed) project first instead of sinking a bunch of your own $$$ into one.

Do yourself a big favor and do a search on Rennlist and Pelican for Motormeister or Motor Meister. You can do much better elsewhere.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:18 AM
993C4
Instructor

Wow, the comments made on MotorMeister are very negative. Thanks for the heads up Brian.

So who is a reputable engine/tranny rebuilder?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

I am in the middle of an engine rebuild myself for the 2.2S Targa. The case is at a machine shop in CA and has been for over 5 months. The shop has an excellent reputation for high quality work but it has taken far too long to get the work back to my mechanic here in Indiana. So I can't recommend that.

If I was doing it over I would give Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems a call. I have not had any work done at his shop but if you do a search for his name or shop will get a far different response than MM. He freely gives of his time to answer many questions on these boards.

http://www.rennsportsystems.com/
Old 06-11-2004, 10:47 AM
salazarS2K
AutoX

Early hoods and fenders can be found quite often used online on rennlist, pelicanparts, and the early911sregistry. However, the hoodlatch on the early hood will not match up with hoodlatch in the later SCs. You can use rubber hood latches to keep the hood down or have to fabricate your own latch on the new hood. These items will get you about 90% there on looks, the rest will be the little fit and finish details.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

SalazarS2K that car is beautiful. How did you finish the interior? (got any pics?)
Old 06-11-2004, 11:51 AM
LukeSportsman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would sugggest looking at the builders who support our forums. It takes quite the devotion to come on here at regular intervals and give us free advice. This free advice used to be hard to come by at the track or dealership. Depending on needs:
1. Steve Weiner (great reputation and honest in my limited dealings)
2. Uncle Zak (Porsche builds at non Porsche prices, bought a RS 2.7 MFI)
3. Stephen at Image (knows how to build mega hp, possibly future endeavors)

All three are involved with the boards and are easy to talk to with your interests and desires. You know what they say about estimates for a building get three and choose the middle one. If one is substantially cheaper than the others, there may be a reason (overhead or quality).

Quick Reply: Building a 1973 2.7 RS Replica