911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Inherited an 1986 911. What now???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 09:57 AM
AdamInMD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inherited an 1986 911. What now???

Father passed away and I inherited a car. 1986 911. Exterior is in decent shape... scratches here and there and a ding on a rubber bumper. Original paint and a replaced manual soft top 8 or 9 years ago.

He didn't drive it much and it mostly sits in the garage. 100k miles on it. Battery was dead when I got it.

Some smoke on startup (after recharging a dead battery) and a steady but somewhat inconsistent idle.

The interior is in decent shape but does show some wear.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the true condition of the car. Any recommendations in the Maryland (Montgomery County) area for a mechanic that could do a once over to offer advice on its condition and what it may need? Thanks!

Old 11-05-2023, 02:16 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

In Maryland check Autotherapy (Roger ) in Gaithersburg or Va Intersport (Charlie) , or Taylor Chapman in Sterling Va
Old 11-06-2023, 10:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

hey it fired up so thats a great start.. smoke on idle at startup is not unusual at all after sitting ( even overnight ). Sounds like a fun adventure.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:37 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

Adam,
Sorry to hear about your father. Like mentioned smoke is not all bad. Go get it looked at and see what if anything other than a new home it needs. The market is softening up so if sell is in your future sooner is better than later. If you have a number shoot me a PM. I have been looking for a 3.2 car

Cheers, Mike
Old 11-07-2023, 10:56 PM
Tinkerer
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The market is softening up so if sell is in your future sooner is better than later. If you have a number shoot me a PM. I have been looking for a 3.2 car

Cheers, Mike
According to August 2023 PCA magazine the market for 3.2 is strong.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
According to August 2023 PCA magazine the market for 3.2 is strong.
i have found since it is a club magazine the owners tend to be attached to their cars and believe they are worth more than they are.

Im sure it gives a general idea but any club magazine i find for any Marque does not represent market values for their vehicles, Club magazines tend to be on the higher side lets say , to be nice.

But for the record i don't think bring a trailer does either, but a collection of sources will give to a good idea
Old 11-08-2023, 10:48 AM
Tinkerer
Advanced

Originally Posted by theiceman
i have found since it is a club magazine the owners tend to be attached to their cars and believe they are worth more than they are.

Im sure it gives a general idea but any club magazine i find for any Marque does not represent market values for their vehicles, Club magazines tend to be on the higher side lets say , to be nice.

But for the record i don't think bring a trailer does either, but a collection of sources will give to a good idea
I would agree but this is a market dashboard (external source Hagerty) that describes ratings 1-6, estimated values, price guides, trends, sales results, asking price and then market sales numbers. Their analysis makes it look like values are steady and looking at it mine is worth more than I thought.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I would agree but this is a market dashboard (external source Hagerty) that describes ratings 1-6, estimated values, price guides, trends, sales results, asking price and then market sales numbers. Their analysis makes it look like values are steady and looking at it mine is worth more than I thought.
oh yes a place like a Haggerty dashboard i think would be good .. when you said PCA , I just thought you meant PCA marketplace.

Funny you should mention this .. Haggerty increased the value of my SC said i had it to low.. i didn't mind the small premium bump. i only had it at 50K CAD , which is really nothing in today's market.

funny side story , guy walks by my house constantly telling me he wants to buy my car and throw him a number and make sure he is top of the list when selling ... i got so fed up I said fine you want it ? 100K .. he was like , now way it is worth that much . my response: then you don't really want it then do you.

Last edited by theiceman; 11-08-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:35 PM
Tinkerer
Advanced

Originally Posted by theiceman
oh yes a place like a Haggerty dashboard i think would be good .. when you said PCA , I just thought you meant PCA marketplace.

Funny you should mention this .. Haggerty increased the value of my SC said i had it to low.. i didn't mind the small premium bump. i only had it at 50K CAD , which is really nothing in today's market.

funny side story , guy walks by my house constantly telling me he wants to buy my car and throw him a number and make sure he is top of the list when selling ... i got so fed up I said fine you want it ? 100K .. he was like , now way it is worth that much . my response: then you don't really want it then do you.
Thats funny, I guess everything has a price! Hagerty has mine at $50k but I’m thinking it’s between a 3 and 2 condition which brings it to around $65k but I won’t change it because they’ll jack my cost.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thats funny, I guess everything has a price! Hagerty has mine at $50k but I’m thinking it’s between a 3 and 2 condition which brings it to around $65k but I won’t change it because they’ll jack my cost.

yeah 50K USD .. mine is 60k CAD so that's about 43K USD , really low, but i really don't care.. not like id go by another one at this stage. if it got crashed or stolen id just move on , unlikely to buy another Porsche.

Quick Reply: Inherited an 1986 911. What now???