Carrera 3.2 Air filter box clipz

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 02:54 PM
ninjaRS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera 3.2 Air filter box clipz

Hi,
I'm trying to get access to my air flow sensor.
In order to get access to it, I had to remove the airbox, so i took the clips off the front and the whole. With a little bit of wiggling I managed to pull out half the box along with the air filter.
I now need to put it back together, however it seems virtually impossible to get the rear 2 clips fastened. Is there a method to reinstalling it?

Kind Regards,
Ash
Old 04-29-2021, 04:57 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 132 Posts

One thing you might consider is opening up the airbox by removing the snorkel and cutting out the face around the air filter. It gives you a bit more intake noise at WOT and some say it might make a bit more power if you've got a chip and/or sport exhaust. I have both those and don't feel any performance gains, but no negatives either and it does sound a bit better to me. The biggest improvement is that it's about 100% easier to change the air filter without destroying your hands; now very easy to get to the rear clips. I did get stuck in some fairly heavy rain and didn't have any issues with the filter getting wet.

Originally Posted by ninjaRS
Hi,
In order to get access to it, I had to remove the airbox, so i took the clips off the front and the whole. With a little bit of wiggling I managed to pull out half the box along with the air filter.
I now need to put it back together, however it seems virtually impossible to get the rear 2 clips fastened. Is there a method to reinstalling it?

Kind Regards,
Ash
The following users liked this post:
ninjaRS (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 06:24 PM
ninjaRS
Track Day

The car is based in Malaysia, we get monsoon rains here. So we'd probably try to keep the airbox stock. Don't have any performance parts on the car, it is as stock as it gets.
The car didn't come with a cat or O2 sensor.
Still trying to figure out how this installation is done with the stock box. My palms and forearms definitely will not fit
Old 04-29-2021, 08:09 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't remember details, but it is definitely a little tricky, and is definitely possible without mods or cutting anything. I don't think there is a secret that makes it easy. Just keep thinking and trying different things is what I'd do.
The following users liked this post:
ninjaRS (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 11:37 PM
archstanton
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my 86 carrera I can reach the top back clip by reaching over the engine and in back of the filter housing. For the bottom one as I recall, it helps to remove the oil filler cap and reach back along the side of the engine- but it is TIGHT
Old 05-01-2021, 04:23 PM
ninjaRS
Track Day

Thank you guys, I guess i'll have to get the mrs to help me out with this
Old 05-02-2021, 04:05 AM
Ctopher
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a little luck without the filter installed to get the rear. But my forearms were too large so I had to ask my skinny neighbor with his thin arms he was able to reach under and get them without issues. Having the Mrs. Is a good idea.

CTopher
Old 05-02-2021, 11:20 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same problem with my 1987 Carrera. Last time around my teenage son was able to get his hand back in there to flip that clip. He has since grown and filled out so I will have to find another thin armed and long fingered person to help next time around.
Good luck.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:07 PM
bely612
5th Gear

First tip:

To help find that handle–as well as provide some extra leverage–attach a zip-tie to the latches. Don’t worry, you won’t lose any concours points because no one will see them because we’re only talking about two latches on the backside of the air box. More on the why in a sec.

Second tip:

In order to reach those two toggle latches on the backside of the air box, you need to get your arm all the way back in there–between the air box itself and an a/c line. If your arm seems to get to a certain point and then just gets stuck, lube up your forearm with some petroleum jelly.

Your lubed-up forearm should easily slip back behind the air box, and now your fingers can fish around for that zip-tie.

The zip-tie likely will have slipped out of position, but you should be able to finesse it back into place so that it can articulate the latch. Pulling the zip-tie should then snap the toggle latch into the closed position–yes, you can pull on the handle itself, but the zip-tie provides a bit more leverage.

Now enjoy your extra-soft skin the rest of the day.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:26 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjaRS
Hi,

Kind Regards,
Ash
I read a suggestion on this site that said the easiest way to get the back clips on is to use long zip ties on the two back clips so you can reach around and grab them.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:45 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

2.5 year old thread.. no recent news
Old 11-08-2023, 03:38 AM
JDWight
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

As for the rear lower clip, I only found it possible by using my left hand, palm facing inward and thumb down. But yes, it is possible without modification..
Old 11-08-2023, 06:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

how do you get these back on? long skinny arms :-)

Old 11-10-2023, 03:22 AM
gdp_samson
Intermediate

I agree with removing of the snorkel. Was not able to do this either with the snorkel attached to the airbox right part but with that part disconnected,
found out that with a screwdriver, it is possible to detach the snorkel, install the airbox housing, fasten clips correctly, and then "turn" in the snorkel again

never worked without removing the snorkel...now it's still tight but doable

Quick Reply: Carrera 3.2 Air filter box clipz