Pertronix Eletronic Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 04:23 PM
porsche_911_s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pertronix Eletronic Ignition

1974 911s 2.7

Has anyone recently had their points upgraded to a Electronic Ignition? If so, by chance would you have the wiring instructions for the Pertronix upgrade kit. I visited their website and the link for the manual was "Coming Soon!" I just need to find out where to hook up the red (power wire) coming out of the distributor. I am guessing it would connect to the red wire coming off the Bosch CD unit, the red wire that is in the wiring harness of three wires. (White, red, white.)

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Stephen

Last edited by porsche_911_s; 05-30-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:02 AM
Pat S
Track Day

Here is how I wired mine (also a 74)
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2004, 01:43 AM
porsche_911_s
Track Day

Thanks Pat. Where did you pull your switched power from?
Old 05-31-2004, 01:46 AM
Pat S
Track Day

On the block of three fuses, I had two that were not being used (sportomatic and something else) so I just tapped off of one of those.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:43 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes that is what I did (pulled power from the 3 fuse block. The pertronix was one of the first things I did to the car and it has been bulletproof for a very long time. I just checked the car and the bottom fuse of the three on my car is switched. That's where I drew power. Remember, check and double check. If you send power through the Pertonix unit backwards you WILL blow it.

I'll warn you of something weird that happened to me though. I was about 500 miles from home at a 3 day track event. Near the end of the third day, the car started, and then stopped like it was shot. I pulled the dist. cap and found the magnetic adaptor on the dist. shaft had lost its top and all these little magnets scattered all over the guts of the dist. It looks like it is heat welded or crazy glues and is was not done right. Well! Seems not only is it a good thing to have all the magnets if you want all the cylinders to fire (they are about the size of a lighter flint) but they have to be oriented N/S the right way too. It took three tries to get it right after mining the dist. for all the little magnets, but after a dab of crazy glue, it has lasted 10 years since then.

In spite of that, it is a great product and they are great to deal with. I had need to get another of the tiny screws that hold the adaptor plate to the advance plate in the distributor, and being unable to source one in my small town, Pertonix mailed me the whole adaptor kit gratis and cheerfully, long LONG after the warranty period. Great product, great customer service!
Old 06-03-2004, 01:48 AM
porsche_911_s
Track Day

Thanks DGaunt!

I had to get power from the front fuse box. Someone has messed with this car's wiring. (see post about fuel pump) The car is running now... sort of.

Thanks again,

Stephen
Old 06-04-2004, 01:41 PM
kach22i
Instructor

1. Do you have to re-gap (more voltage draw?) your plugs after the install?

2. Do you have to adjust the timing after the install?

3. Will this system work with other ignition system upgrades, coils, CD boxes, Plasma systems......and so on.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Pat S
Track Day

1. No, it doesn't change voltage/amp level that is sent to the plugs.
2. It can't hurt to check it but it shouldn't change
3. I'd think so. It really is nothing more than a magentic pickup relay vs the mechanical relay (points).

Pat
Old 06-05-2004, 07:32 AM
kach22i
Instructor

Thank you for the information.

I am a bit undereducated when it comes to some of this stuff.

When I read the after market manufacture upgrade promotional literature, it all sounds so wonderful, but they do little to explain the basic function of what they propose you replace. I always feel a little smoke being blown up my tailpipe if you know what I mean.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:38 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

You should check the timing as it is partly dependant on the air gap you set (close counts) Remember you want no more than about 36 Deg. @ 6,000 RPM to prevent problems.

Just to repeat, the Pertronix unit beats the heck out of re-setting your points all the time. Mana for the lazy!

Quick Reply: Pertronix Eletronic Ignition