Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Electric Air conditioning - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 05:49 PM
John Montgomery
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Electric Air conditioning - any good?

I have a Restomod based on a ‘79 911 SC and I would like to install electric air conditioning. Do any forum members have experience with electric air?
I know there are a number of alternatives on the market, do they work well enough, which is best?
thanks
Old 10-13-2023, 06:02 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I installed electric air in my 87. I can't say I am completely happy with it, nor that I am unhappy.
The good is it saves a bit of weight as it gets rid of the giant compressor, a lot of refrigerant lines and the big condenser in the rear. I also removed the front condenser, which I think was mistake. I have it on my to-do list to reinstall that condenser to improve the performance, as it it stands now with the supplied condenser it is not up to the task for a hot Georgia day (also my car is triple black and that surely does not help).

To install the condenser they supply you need to remove the left fog light and windshield fluid bottle. I never use the fogs, so it was not a big deal, but some people might not like that. They make a little kit to replace the water bottle that uses a 996 bottle relocated under the gas cap in the fender well. Another project that I have never gotten around to completing.

The installation is a bit fussy, but completely doable if you have a garage. Figure that it will take a good bit of time to get it done. I don't know how much time I had into it, but it consumed a few weekend days and several evenings.

I also installed their higher capacity alternator, I don't know if you have to do that, but that is separate job. My engine was out for a rebuild so my engine builder did it, he said it was a little fussy as the wire size is larger than original.

If I was to do it again would I? IDK, I would seriously consider a Griffiths or other aftermarket system to preserve the OEM character. I do like that it is lighter and cleans up the engine bay though, so 50/50 on that.
The following users liked this post:
Rico (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 07:56 AM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If you add the other front condenser do you think it can handle the Georgia heat? Does it harder than the stock blower? Thanks
Old 10-17-2023, 04:12 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I think it will solve the issue for me, but probably won't freeze anyone out. Blows about the same

you can see pictures of my install here
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ac-thread.html

Quick Reply: Electric Air conditioning - any good?