wingless' Steel Spare Wheel Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 05:29 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts
Default wingless' Steel Spare Wheel Lug Nuts

The Porsche Service Information Technical Bulletins for the Carrera model years have been read. There is a consistent message presented about usage of the collapsible spare tire on the steel wheel in those documents, for the various model years.

That message is that part number N 029 112 1 lug nuts are required for usage on the steel wheel, not the 999 182 003 35 lug nuts that are used on the aluminum wheels at all four corners.

The Technical Bulletins for the Carrera model year range, for example Group 4 / Number 8613, published December 12, 1986, all show images of both lug nut styles and all provide the same information about lug nut usage.

The lug nut for the steel spare tire is shorter w/ an open end and is fully threaded. The lug nut for the aluminum wheels is longer and has a closed end.

A set of five N 029 112 1 lug nuts has been ordered to carry during vehicle operation to permit proper usage of the included collapsible spare tire / steel wheel, if ever required.

Both lug nuts have the same specified 130 Nm (96 ft-lbs) (13 kp-m) tightening torque.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:56 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

That same Technical Bulletin also specifies that the lug threads and shoulders should be lubricated w/ Optimoly HT P/N 999-917-728-00.

This Product Data Sheet has excellent application information.

It also states that the prior product name was Optimol Paste HT. The 100g tube of the grease w/ the older name is MUCH less expensive than with the current name.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:06 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

You know, I don't remember anyone ever bringing this up. You would have thought Porsche would have included the steel nuts if this was a requirement.

I wonder if the steel wheel cuts into the domed end of the aluminum lug nuts. It's definitely a different mating surface than the aluminum Fuchs.

Mark
Old 09-08-2023, 11:20 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
You know, I don't remember anyone ever bringing this up. You would have thought Porsche would have included the steel nuts if this was a requirement.
There is a massive stack of reference documents I purchased to better understand this vehicle. I'm just under halfway through reading all those documents.

The Porsche Service Information Technical Bulletins I purchased are five volumes, I got volumes B through F, each a ~3/4" wide book, with all the bulletins issued over the calendar year, one each for 1985 through 1989.

The Technical Bulletin can be very specific or very wide reaching, either by model or by model years. Some issues appear only once. Others, like specification of this specific lug nut for usage w/ a steel wheel (also the stud lubrication) appear in many volumes and is listed as applicable for all models.

100% agree that five of these lug nuts should have been included w/ each vehicle having a steel spare wheel. My tool kit will have these added once those ordered parts arrive.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:45 AM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Mercedes used to provide lug nuts for the steel spares. Optimoly is great if you can get it but I've always used a graphite paste that goes a long way, Also copper gasket paste works too.
Looks like Pelican has it
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...043-305-08-OEM

Last edited by rstarga; 09-10-2023 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: wingless' Steel Spare Wheel Lug Nuts