wingless Corrected Messed Up '86 911 Left Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 08:48 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts
Default wingless Corrected Messed Up '86 911 Left Headlight

The left headlight on my gorgeous new-to-me 1986 911 Carrera Targa was pointing waaay up and to the left and the adjustment screws would back out instead of changing the beam location.

Removal of the left headlight assembly had LOTS of head scratching (even less hair now) until I also removed the right assembly for side-by-each comparison.

The adjustment screws act upon a threaded bracket on the moving part. It appears that bracket was cold staked by the factory to the moving part, at some point the bracket broke free and that the bracket was reattached to the fixed part instead of back to the moving part.

The bracket was removed from the immobile bucket base and then reattached to the correct location, those headlight assembly (ies) reattached to the vehicle and the beams adjusted to a good ballpark placement. All is working normally w/ the adjustments now.

While everything was apart I noticed each headlamp assembly had an unpopulated miniature bayonet bulb socket. That socket would illuminate the Ba9s bayonet bulb when the parking lights and the headlights were on. Does this extra headlight bulb have an official name?

Those empty sockets were populated w/ a pair of Sylvania 1816LL 4.3W bulbs prior to attaching the headlight assemblies to the vehicle.

Note those ell shaped wire springs that retain the perimeter of the headlight bucket to the exterior trim can be a butt pain to install. It's nice and secure now.

Old 09-07-2023, 09:04 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

You are too close to the wall for correct adjustment. The procedure is in your owners manual. Or should be maybe for the US it is not there. John Audette might have it on his webpage.
The following users liked this post:
wingless (09-07-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 11:31 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by wingless
While everything was apart I noticed each headlamp assembly had an unpopulated miniature bayonet bulb socket. That socket would illuminate the Ba9s bayonet bulb when the parking lights and the headlights were on. Does this extra headlight bulb have an official name?

Those empty sockets were populated w/ a pair of Sylvania 1816LL 4.3W bulbs prior to attaching the headlight assemblies to the vehicle.

Was doing some early dusk driving tonight w/ the parking light on, now also illuminating the headlight buckets, providing sufficient improved visibility of my vehicle w/o having to use the headlights, which provide zero benefit when driving when sufficient ambient light exists.

Very interesting that these Ba9s bayonet base bulbs don't appear in the Bentley Publications 911 Carrera Service Manual wiring diagrams

Is there a name for these bulbs?

What country(ies) get this bulb?
Old 09-09-2023, 02:46 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

City lights

Quick Reply: wingless Corrected Messed Up '86 911 Left Headlight