Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Leather care

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 06:49 PM
Cinge
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leather care

I am ready to give my Diamond Blue Metallic leather some attention after purchasing my 911 seven months ago.

Does anyone have any "special" advice for this 'special' metallic leather? What products do you use? Connolly Hide Food and/or Leatherique is what I've researched so far....

Thanks for any info
Old 09-13-2002, 08:18 PM
Carlos Artal
Advanced

Cool

Will keep an eye opened in this post. I´ve been longing to do some work on caring my leather, navy blue in my case, with the same 2 products.

Leatherique seems to be the best... anyone has used it with good results?
Old 09-13-2002, 10:03 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cinge:

Those diamond blue interiors are quite nice on the special edition '88's.

Anyway, I used Lexol's cleaner and conditioner with good results on my leather. There are other good quality products available too as you mentioned in your post.

I've read some professional detailers only recommend cleaning the leather with warm soapy water and a sponge and don't apply any conditioner. I guess it all depends on who you talk to, but as long as you use high quality products, you should be alright. Skip the "over the counter" products you can get at WalMart and such.

Definitely test any cleaner or conditioner you try on a hidden section of your leather to insure that it does not discolor your aged leather. I faded a black leather seat with some inexpensive leather cleaner/conditioner years ago by not testing first.

Good Luck,
Jay
90 964
Old 09-14-2002, 11:28 AM
nate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I second the recommendation for Lexol. If your leather is in good shape (i.e. does not need to be reconditioned) use the cleaner followed by the conditioner. Zymol also used to make a good two-stage leather care line with a spray cleaner and a conditioner which looked (and smelled) like hair conditioner. I've also been told that you can use any high quailty lotion (e.g. Eucerin or Cetaphil) on clean leather but haven't tried it myself.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:11 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't have the time to look it up. but i seem to recollect somthing about not using soap and water on Porsche leather seats as it can rot the stiching over time- I'll see if I can find the reference in "upfixin der Porsche"..

Fred L.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:57 PM
86Coupe
Intermediate

I have used Lexol cleaner for the seats followed by Lexol conditioner. The cleaner I just used once. If you keep the seat surface clean you only need to use the conditioner after the first time. I apply every 6 months or so. Makes the leather softer but not greasy. Prevents cracking, great stuff.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:13 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been using Lexol on my leather with great results. Soft, no greasy residue.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:28 PM
ledyard
Intermediate

I have navy blue leather in my '88 cab which had seen way too much time in the Florida sun with the top down. Car Care Online recommended Surflex leather softener. (Apply it, cover seat with Saranwrap for 2-3 days. My seats were really dry, so it soaked up a few applictions right away. The stuff made a BIG diffrence. It really brought back the suppleness of the leather.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:45 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Try hide food its the best on premium leather seats. Rolls Royce dealers sell it. I bought mine at the local cadillac dealer.

<a href="http://pws.prserv.net/4play/911chevy/index.html" target="_blank">SWAMP MONSTER</a>
Old 09-15-2002, 02:34 PM
Randal J
Cruisin'

It would be interesting to see some reports of long term results, especially in climates where car interiors are superheated by the sun, like here in Arizona.

I have read a few times that, while there may be some benefit in temperate climates, some of these conditioners can actually accelerate the "baking" process of the leather over time in the hot sun.

With Porsches having a relatively long life span, if well cared for, this "over time" aspect is important.

It would be good to see some independent, proven test results on these types of products, as well as Armor-all and other car care products. We should all be skeptical of manufacturers' claims and sponsered "studies".

Shelf space at Rolls Royce or Cadillac dealerships should be no more impressive than shelf space allocation/assigmnents of foods at supermarkets. It has more to do with marketing, money, and clout than actual product merit.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:32 PM
Jim Garfield
Track Day

This stuff is supposed to be very good:
<a href="http://www.liquidleather.com/" target="_blank">http://www.liquidleather.com/</a>
Old 09-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Roamer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend saving your $ and opt for cheaper products that work just as well. A good friend of mine owns a detail shop and has tried all the various products. Two things, most conditioners won't work. The reason, once leather starts to age it no longer is able to absorb the conditioners. Remember you are trying to moisturize dead hide, it's already too late once it leaves the cow. Second, soap and water does clean best, your biggest concern is to protect the leather to keep it in its best condition. He has found, and I through his suggestion that the Nu-Finish 2000 off-the-shelf, bright green bottle, kmart product works best. In years of my own use on black interiors I find that it cleans very well, leaves a very nice finish and prevents fading (my daily driver has always been sitting outside). The only caveat is to apply it judiciously because it tends to leave a greasy residue if too much is applied.

Best of luck and post your own results to edify us all.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:39 PM
RobertG
Racer

"I have navy blue leather in my '88 cab which had seen way too much time in the Florida sun with the top down. Car Care Online recommended Surflex leather softener. (Apply it, cover seat with Saranwrap for 2-3 days. My seats were really dry, so it soaked up a few applictions right away. The stuff made a BIG diffrence. It really brought back the suppleness of the leather. "
I also have Navy blue leather seats and I also used Surflex Leather Soffener and I rehydrated my leather seats and interior and covered all the leather parts in the the Soffener and plastic bags for 5 days. Every other day I applied aonther coat of the Soffener....I was truely stunned at what a huge improvment this stuff did. It blew away Hide food. The directions are. First use Lexol pH cleaner then use the Surflex for 2 to 5 days (depending on condition of leather) cover with plastic sheeting. Then wipe off any excess and then wipe on a Leather UV conditioner. Your done......I'm simply amazed at the difference
Old 09-20-2002, 12:02 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I have not used all the products mentioned here, I have used the Lexol products and like the results.I now use and highly recommend Leatherique.I have been using Leatherique for about a year and as a Porsche detailer I have seen some bad leather.Leatherique does what I expect and does not leave a "greasey" feel, it shine up nicely and has a neutral smell.It is no miracle worker but it performs a bit better than the Lexol, for the extremely bad leather I have used the Neetsfoot Oil by Lexol with fair results.
Any good leather conditioner is better than no treatment at all !
Old 09-20-2002, 02:51 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Years of conditioning my baseball gloves with mink oil has worked well with older leather and seems to really moisturize it. There is a lot of residue but can be wiped off after allowed to soak in.

I used on my old Audi Coupe and e30 m3 but have only done soap and water with the p-car.

Quick Reply: Leather care