911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Considering this 1976 Targa (Noob)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023 | 06:30 PM
genensam
AutoX

Default Considering this 1976 Targa (Noob)

Hi guys - thanks in advance for any advice. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1976 911S Targa in Oak Green with a tan/tartan interior. I trust the seller, and the car is all original and looks to be in fantastic shape inside and out. The seller has a birth certificate from Porsche that states a production date of 04/76 and both interior/exterior color match. It shows 54k miles and comes with a decent amount of service history, all the original bits, toolbox etc. The paint is in fantastic condition. I've shared a couple of pictures. Would anyone be able to help me to think through what the car may be worth for a purchase price, and any major issues to look out for? (there is no rust).

I'm no expert and to my uninitiated eye the car is drool-worthy and I'd love to own something so attractive and historical.

Any advice much appreciated

. Thank you so much
Old 06-20-2023 | 11:02 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

The car really looks nice in the pictures and it appears to be at a Porsche dealership which can be a plus. They should have documentation on the car?

I would suggest having an air cooled mechanic do a mechanical inspection and a well respected body shop/Porsche restoration shop to really check out the paint and body.

In the current market, low mileage, in this nice condition, and at a Porsche dealer this is probably an $85k car. So have it inspected.

good luck to you.
Old 06-21-2023 | 12:10 AM
genensam
AutoX

Thanks for the feedback! It is not at a Porsche dealership but the current owner works for Porsche, he is the second owner. The car was purchased at a local dealership to us and has the service book which is full of stamps from that dealership till the space ran out - it’s pretty cool!

it’s a big chunk of cash to swallow (for me) but I’m guessing a car in this condition from a well-known local source is pretty rare I may have to jump on it..
Old 06-21-2023 | 12:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

geez thats a nice car , many don't like targas and feel they are worth less and are less desirable than a coupe. but i think that is a beautiful car and whoever specced it has nice taste, i love the green and tweed interior, reminds of e type jags of the era.
Old 06-21-2023 | 01:00 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Lots of happy Targa owners on this forum , you'll be able to get all the help and great advice you need.
That's a nicely kept car , although looks can be decieving on the mechanical side so do get a thorough PPI from a competent Porsche shop, not a dealer
as they forgot a long time ago how to service air cooled cars ...

Cheers
Phil
The following users liked this post:
Qtrfoil (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023 | 01:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

The cosmetics look very nice on this car. Cant comment on pricing but it won't be inexpensive. With these you are always better off to spend more to get a cleaner car.

Do you have any details on maintenance history? This is a US car?

Given the condition and likely premium you'll pay for it, the only cautions I would do a PPI with a compression and leak down. This is the tail end of the 2.7L magnesium case motors, and the US emissions did create some issues with the engine that are heat related. You'd want to ensure / see if the exhaust has been changed to the earlier type, and the thermal reactors removed, the smog pump is disconnected, and you have the proper 11 blade fan. These engines will all seep a little oil, but your PPI will state if this is an issue related to things like head studs or case warpage. If the car has had the fixes done that everyone did (fan, smog pump, and the headers) you should be fine. Adding an external oil cooler to these is a good idea also.
Old 06-21-2023 | 03:25 PM
genensam
AutoX

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The cosmetics look very nice on this car. Cant comment on pricing but it won't be inexpensive. With these you are always better off to spend more to get a cleaner car.

Do you have any details on maintenance history? This is a US car?

Given the condition and likely premium you'll pay for it, the only cautions I would do a PPI with a compression and leak down. This is the tail end of the 2.7L magnesium case motors, and the US emissions did create some issues with the engine that are heat related. You'd want to ensure / see if the exhaust has been changed to the earlier type, and the thermal reactors removed, the smog pump is disconnected, and you have the proper 11 blade fan. These engines will all seep a little oil, but your PPI will state if this is an issue related to things like head studs or case warpage. If the car has had the fixes done that everyone did (fan, smog pump, and the headers) you should be fine. Adding an external oil cooler to these is a good idea also.
Yes, it it a US car, and has quite a bit of documentation. First owner purchased it new and kept it until 4 years ago, always had it serviced at that same local dealer- the book is full of service stamps. Second owner then acquired it, and has kept documentation on all the work he has done since then. According to the owner, the only thing that he has changed is the headlamps, but he has the originals. The Targa top has also been restored. I'm planning on getting it fully inspected inside and out by an expert

I think this car will probably run me about $80-85k. Assuming everything checks out inside and out, does this seem reasonable? I'm in love with it but a little nervous that none of the '76 Targas I can find on BAT come anywhere close to that, but I think this is a nicer example than most of the ones I've seen on there.
Old 06-21-2023 | 03:42 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by genensam
Yes, it it a US car, and has quite a bit of documentation. First owner purchased it new and kept it until 4 years ago, always had it serviced at that same local dealer- the book is full of service stamps. Second owner then acquired it, and has kept documentation on all the work he has done since then. According to the owner, the only thing that he has changed is the headlamps, but he has the originals. The Targa top has also been restored. I'm planning on getting it fully inspected inside and out by an expert

I think this car will probably run me about $80-85k. Assuming everything checks out inside and out, does this seem reasonable? I'm in love with it but a little nervous that none of the '76 Targas I can find on BAT come anywhere close to that, but I think this is a nicer example than most of the ones I've seen on there.
Spyerx knows what he is talking about. We both have Magnesium case 7R hotrods.

Get the car inspected, at $85K it should need minimum serious attention. But, it is still an old car and things will happen and will need pay attention; so don't get discouraged when that happens!

Also, a 2-owner car is good, but it does not mean that the either owner actually knew what the technician did to their car! That is why you want to have it properly inspected mechanically and for paint and body! Not all owners are technically savvy, and they trust mechanics who can take creative short cuts!

Old 06-21-2023 | 04:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

price is relative, and can be hard to gauge, miles, condition, history, color all play into it. reality is nice cars trade for more. You could find a $40k car and find it needs an engine rebuild and has rust issue and needs paint and you are easily at $80k. You always do better paying a little more for a nicer car. Some, like me an Igooz are gluttons for punishment and like burning cash .... :-)

Do you have any pictures of the engine bay or underside of the car?

For a car at that price level I would want assurance the body hasn't been in an accident (repaints are fine if done well, but original paint in good condition will warrant a premium), the trans/engine numbers match, and the engine is complete.

And yes the headlights are the style from the earlier car, it would have had "sugar scoops" on it as delivered, but the H4 lights are nicer looking and much better light pattern. BTW, im sure you know the tartan is not factory, but if you like it it suits the car.
Old 06-21-2023 | 06:27 PM
genensam
AutoX

Originally Posted by Spyerx
price is relative, and can be hard to gauge, miles, condition, history, color all play into it. reality is nice cars trade for more. You could find a $40k car and find it needs an engine rebuild and has rust issue and needs paint and you are easily at $80k. You always do better paying a little more for a nicer car. Some, like me an Igooz are gluttons for punishment and like burning cash .... :-)

Do you have any pictures of the engine bay or underside of the car?

For a car at that price level I would want assurance the body hasn't been in an accident (repaints are fine if done well, but original paint in good condition will warrant a premium), the trans/engine numbers match, and the engine is complete.

And yes the headlights are the style from the earlier car, it would have had "sugar scoops" on it as delivered, but the H4 lights are nicer looking and much better light pattern. BTW, im sure you know the tartan is not factory, but if you like it it suits the car.
Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice! Am working on getting it inspected, likely will take me a couple weeks to get that lined up but will report back. By the way, the 'birth certificate' states 'cork leatherette with tartan inlays.' Would those be different to the seats that are currently in the car?

Old 06-21-2023 | 06:50 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice! Am working on getting it inspected, likely will take me a couple weeks to get that lined up but will report back. By the way, the 'birth certificate' states 'cork leatherette with tartan inlays.' Would those be different to the seats that are currently in the car?
I think he's referring to the door panels. The seat inlays are factory, but I believe the doors should be cork leatherette. The factory didn't install Tartan on the doors, somebody did that later.

Mark
Old 06-21-2023 | 07:00 PM
genensam
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
I think he's referring to the door panels. The seat inlays are factory, but I believe the doors should be cork leatherette. The factory didn't install Tartan on the doors, somebody did that later.

Mark
Ah got it. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2023 | 07:04 PM
genensam
AutoX

Some pictures of the engine bay...

Old 06-21-2023 | 07:06 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Stirring up the memory cells, it was my good fortune to have two ‘70s 911 cars; ‘70 911-T & ‘75 911-S. Wish I would have kept a journal to record the great times in both. Paid $ 7.5K for the ‘70 & took over a $300 a month lease on the ‘75. I would really enjoy getting back in an air cooled, but afraid those days are behind me. If you have any moments of anguish after writing a check for a big repair, know it will disappear when you turn the key.
Enjoy!
Old 06-21-2023 | 07:08 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Ah got it. Thanks!
yes sorry the panels, but I guess its possible there was some special wishes configuration... . and tartan on the cork was not common. but it does look good on the green

these new certification forms are not as good as they old ones. they used to specify the engine and transmission numbers... The old forms were called "Certificate of authenticity" . I guess the lawyers got after them or someone was using ht engine numbers to re-stamp engines. but they were also often wrong.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...COA-came-today

Quick Reply: Considering this 1976 Targa (Noob)