acceleration popping question on 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023 | 02:46 PM
facohen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceleration popping question on 3.2

would appreciate any feedback.
put my ‘88 3.2 Carrera in non climate controlled shed for the winter. (first mistake). was running well at that point. now upon starting, getting a loud popping sound only with acceleration and power/torque is down. any ideas of what the problem could be. i’m wondering if it’s a fuel injector issue or spark plug issue or a gas issue?? any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2023 | 08:08 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by facohen
would appreciate any feedback.
put my ‘88 3.2 Carrera in non climate controlled shed for the winter. (first mistake). was running well at that point. now upon starting, getting a loud popping sound only with acceleration and power/torque is down. any ideas of what the problem could be. i’m wondering if it’s a fuel injector issue or spark plug issue or a gas issue?? any feedback would be appreciated.
What do you mean by popping? You backfiring?
Old 05-24-2023 | 08:30 PM
facohen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe it’s backfiring. it’s with acceleration only however, not on letting off the gas pedal.
Old 05-25-2023 | 11:07 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by facohen
i believe it’s backfiring. it’s with acceleration only however, not on letting off the gas pedal.
It could be truly a number of things and it can become a rabbit hole. I had a stalling issue, that took a long time to troubleshoot and figure out. I'd start w/ the easy one and take car of the gas issue and pray it goes away! Lmk and if not, here's my old thread for guidance. Good luck!
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...d-startup.html

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 05-25-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2023 | 10:02 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

on my 1991 911 turbo I had the same issue, turned out to be a cracked head stud. I got lucky as the case did not need to be cracked open, just new head gaskets and studs
Old 06-06-2023 | 11:38 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

firstly .. there is nothing wrong with non climate controlled sheds, im not sure where that is coming from , my car has spent the last 20 winters in an actual barn with zero issues...

i would first try and find out if you are backfiring through the intake or exhaust...

if you are backfiring through the intake it is likely one of your cylinders is running lean and you are getting preignition. if it is backfiring through through the exhaust it is likely rich and fuel is igniting in exhaust header..

but first thing i would do is inspect all the plugs and refresh if necessary. plugs might also give you a clue which cylinder to look closer at.

Quick Reply: acceleration popping question on 3.2