Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 Cabriolet mileage unknown

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 01:03 PM
haileyc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Cabriolet mileage unknown

I'm looking at an 87 Carrera Cabriolet, Red/Tan, 80K mi. It just had the top end redone, including the valves, in addition to a new clutch and timing belt. Seals, hoses, etc, as needed. Very well maintained, very clean. I've checked it out, it looks great, drives great. Asking price $22K - $23K.

The problem I have is with the mileage. The odometer was replaced, under warranty, by a dealer, around 7K mi. Because of that, the car is sold as "True Mileage Unknown." I've seen all the service records, etc, that show a clear path of progression on the mileage, so I'm pretty sure the actual mileage on the odometer is correct (+7K miles, of course). Plus, I trust the guy selling it when he tells me the mileage is right. He knows these cars inside and out, and has looked it over thoroughly, plus it was serviced by the best Porsche guy in town, so I'm pretty sure it's correct, as well as in good shape, mechanically.

How much will that "True Mileage Unknown" affect me in the future, say if I decide to sell the car? What would you true Porsche enthusiasts say to a car of this nature, and how much should it affect the price of the car?

Your honest opinions are appreciated!
Old 05-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've got documentation that a dealer replaced the odo under warranty at 7000 miles and there is solid documentation for the rest of the cars life, I don't think this mileage 'discrepancy' should affect the cars value at all. The condition of the car is the most important factor at this point in it's life and it seems like the documentation/records are in pretty good order.

If I was thinking of buying this car, "True Mileage Unknown" wouldn't affect my decision much based on the mileage on the car already, it's documentation, it's age and the price tag.

Go for it.

Jay
90 964
Old 05-19-2004, 11:18 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've got documentation that a dealer replaced the odo under warranty at 7000 miles and there is solid documentation for the rest of the cars life, I don't think this mileage 'discrepancy' should affect the cars value at all. The condition of the car is the most important factor at this point in it's life and it seems like the documentation/records are in pretty good order.
DIDDO!!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:06 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

My old C2 had the same thing happen - at almost the same mileage. It was well documented and I had ZERO reservations about buying it.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:41 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

My state does not show mileage after a vehicle is 10 years old. It just states "EXEMPT" in the mileage block on the title. If you are happy with the car, go for it. I know a lot of other states have similar mileage limitations due to age.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Chris Lovell
Intermediate

Sounds like a great car. And the price is about right. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: 87 Cabriolet mileage unknown