Hello & Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 08:00 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Hello & Introduction

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and thought I'd intoduce myself. I'm a long time Porsche enthusiast but not owner (yet?). I enjoy working on cars. Currently I own a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX, which is actually a pretty neat car in its own right. I've enjoyed working on it and improving it with a host of mods (mostly suspension and brake stuff). As well, I've spent a ridiculous amount of time detailing and painting the underside...OK, weird, I know.

I dream some day of owning a mid-eighties 911 Carrera, which I hope to purchase in pretty decent shape and then improve upon. It seems these cars are somewhat more affordable in the U.S. than up here in Canada. I've noticed some really nice looking Carreras and 'SCs in the $15 to $20 K range (in the classifieds section), which is pretty good. Its almost enough to make me consider de-modding my Subie, selling the parts and the car and plowing it into one of these cars...

This does lead me to a specific question (i've tried a rudimentary search which has not helped): Does anybody know a good resource for someone from Canada looking to buy in the U.S.? i.e. what legalistic hoops have to be negotiated etc.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and I'm pleased to have found this site. The dialogue is very interesting and intelligent.

Thank you,

Allan
Old 05-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother in-law and I go back and forth all the time about 911's vs WRX's.... He has a WRX tuning shop now in Portland (www.pdxtuning.com - family plug here ;-) I've driven his car and it's really quite cool. He always lusted after 911's in his younger days, so I really razz him quite a bit about how his car can't possibly turn. But it is way fast.... that said - keep your WRX as a daily driver, because I'm sure it rocks in its own right, and buy a 911 as a weekend ride or even for the track. The best point I have when we are arguing over things is that he's comparing his car to the performance of a 15-20 year old car. And additionally, I ask what his WRX will be worth in 15-20 years. Nothing is wrong with new stuff, but there is simply no comparison to german engineering that was put together by talented hands. has something to do with beer I think!
Ell

then again - I use mine as a daily driver - so if you're just looking for an excuse to try a new sled, go for it!
Old 05-19-2004, 11:34 AM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Hi Allan,

I couldn't tell you any specifics right now but I could find out from my brother what his friend had to go through when he moved out of NJ and back to Canada (he's a Canadian citizen who was working in NJ under H1B) after his company laid him off. I don't know if they made him pay taxes on the car he bought while living in the US.

btw: I'm selling my 1986 911 Targa (negotiable US$16K).

Welcome to the list!
Adrian
Old 05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for the responses!

Yep Ellsworth, I see the logic in keeping the WRX (and I guess I likely will for a while) but my situation would make it unlikely to be able to get another car, so I'd have to make room! The WRX is not a daily driver either as I ride a bike to work (or jog in the winters!).

Adrian, that info from your brother would be nice. Don't kill yourself to find out quick though, as I'm in no rush. I did find the threads about your Targa and saw the picks. It appears to be the kind of car that I would consider (although I'm more interested in a coupe, but that's not final). I need to spend more time absorbing info and figuring out what to do though!

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allan,
Welcome, learn as much as you can from Rennlist. It is an excellent tool in searching for that "right" 911. Best wishes and welcome again - Jay Gratton
Old 05-20-2004, 03:00 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by amjf088
Thanks for the responses!

Yep Ellsworth, I see the logic in keeping the WRX (and I guess I likely will for a while) but my situation would make it unlikely to be able to get another car, so I'd have to make room! The WRX is not a daily driver either as I ride a bike to work (or jog in the winters!).

Adrian, that info from your brother would be nice. Don't kill yourself to find out quick though, as I'm in no rush. I did find the threads about your Targa and saw the picks. It appears to be the kind of car that I would consider (although I'm more interested in a coupe, but that's not final). I need to spend more time absorbing info and figuring out what to do though!

Thanks!
From what I've found out from my brother so far wrt bringing a car from the US to Canada (with you intending to be a resident in CN, of course!), he had to pay taxes on the car's CURRENT value (not the amount he paid when he got it new) and he had to pay to get DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) installed.

I'll let you know more as I find stuff out.

Quick Reply: Hello & Introduction