Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Chemical paint removal or sand blast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Julia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chemical paint removal or sand blast?

We are in the process of looking for a paint shop to repaint our 1970 911T. It has three layers of paint and needs to be stripped first. We have thought about using "Aircraft Remover" paint remover ourselves to save some money but have been told that it can pit the metal. Has anyone used it or knows whether chemical or sand blasting is better or worse for the metal. Does anyone have a recommendation for a paint shop in Sacramento? We want it restored to the original color of Signal Orange and want a shop that can do that. We don't need a "concours" job, but a good one. Hopefully not over $4,000.00

Thanks, Julia
Old 05-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Tim K
Advanced

Hi Julia

Stripping the old paint can be done using chemical stripper, but is very time consuming, and messy. Also, special care must be taken to avoid running of the stripper into the seams and other crevasses. While it is something that can be done at home (with proper gloves, goggles, and, ventilation) the cost of paint stripper used can still be quite high if you have many layers to work through. This is still a very common method.

In my opinion, sandblasting of the exterior panels is not a good idea. The problem isn't so much the pitting as is the possibility of warping of all of the low crown surfaces (actually caused by heat buildup). Also the heavier the grit used, the worse the problem becomes. It can be done, but a proper job is heavily dependant on the operator. Another huge downside is the mess. The sand will get into everything. It's nearly impossible to avoid, and even harder to remove entirely. Also, if proper precautions are not taken, trim, glass, ect. can easily be damaged.

The appropriate method of stripping the paint is also dependant on the amount of disassembly involved. How much of the trim, door handles, ect. were you planing on removing before stripping and repainting?

One option that is very popular is the use of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) blasting. It uses similar equipment to sandblasting, but is not quite as common. It is very friendly as it does not damage glass, trim, rubber, etc. So if the amount of disassembly is to be kept to a minimum, this is a good option. Clean up is much easier also as it is obviously water soluble. One drawback is the slightly increased cost over sandblasting. In my opinion, it is well worth it. Soda blasting isn't quite as aggressive as sandblasting. It basically wears the paint away. So as the thickness of the existing layers increases, so does the removal time and cost. I belive these guys are in your area. American Stripping 916-387-9933 (no affiliation) Call for a quote.

There are other "media" blasting materials other than baking soda, such as crushed walnut shells, corn husks, plastic beads, ect. Although I am not familiar with these.

Good luck

Tim K
Old 05-18-2004, 02:47 PM
LukeSportsman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Tim has outlined things well and has given you good recommendations. If your trying to do it at home, stay with the biodegradable products (ie not beads) Remeber this stuff will be flying so don't do it next to neighbors you want to stay friends. Sand is also bad in working itself out during the paint shooting stage. I would prefer soda or shells.

Chemicals, scraping and wire brushes does do the trick and has been the common route for home guys for years, when everyone didn't own an air compressor. Air craft cleaner is available in a non-caustic formula so its good to the metal. BUT it will burn and itch if even an active drop hits the skin so dress appropriately and work up wind
Old 05-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

One time I sand blasted the firewall and engine compartment on a project I was working on-NEVER again. I realize hand sanding is slow, tedious and sometimes nerve wracking, but IMHO is the way to go.
If you remove the trunk lids they can be chemically stripped using aircraft stripper. This will lessen the possibility of the nasty gunk getting into cracks and running out.
As Luke suggested be careful with the stripper!!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:18 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

I used aircraft stripper on my own '70 and it worked fine (USE RUBBER GLOVES) while it can run into cracks, this was not a problem for me as I replaced all the rubber on the car. It won't pit the metal, but is very messy. Forget sand blasting
Old 05-19-2004, 02:21 AM
Julia
Instructor

Default Thanks!

Oh my, I am so happy with all the response and advice. I will be giving American Stripping a call tomorrow. I received my Cardex today and am confirmed Signal Orange is the color!

Thanks for all the hard earned advice! Julia
Old 05-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Julia,
Great color choice. Welcome to the site and best of luck with your car.

Larry Harris
Old 05-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Sacto S
Track Day

A few shops you may want to look into in the Sacramento area:

Fabrication Specialties---Don Joe
Pacific Coast Auto Body
European Auto Body---on Auburn Blvd.---Dale?

Finding a "good" paint job for less than $4000 may be a bit tough in the Sacramento area. Labor costs are high here. I've received quotes as high as $8000 to paint my '67. Shop around and be sure you ask exactly what will you get for the money. How many coats? Color sanding? Rubbed out?
Masking of suspension? Extra paint? ASK!!!!!!!

As for "blasting vs stripping"?

Blasting can and will leave dust behind. Extra care must be taken to remove all the remaining dust before painting begins.

If you opt to go with chemical stuff, chemical strippers are messy as posted, Use a rough grit paper to cut the surface of the paint prior to applying the stripper. This will allow the stripper to penetrate the surface faster and take more paint with each application. Also, let the stuff do its job! Don't get in a hurry to scrap it off. Let it sit and work. Put it on thick!
Be 101% certain that you wash all areas completely when you are done. Stripper that has worked down into the seams will lift paint later.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:17 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might consider talking to the shop that you ultimately choose to do the painting. They might have suggestions and/or preferences.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Julia
Instructor

Question Stripping car and Fuchs

Thanks for all the suggestions. We went to American Stripping in Sacramento and were very impressed with the people and the place. We're thinking we are going to use them to do the mineral strip and primer the car too. We haven't found a painter yet, but will look into the ones suggested. We went to one well know import painter and he didn't even want to tackle our car. I was a little irratated by his attitude, but I guess he's more into the high end jobs for Mercedes, BMW and newer Porsches.

I'm trying to decide what to use to strip the red paint off my Fuchs. Will Aircraft work OK for them? I want to take them back to black! Is there a big difference between "Satin" and "Semi-gloss" black? I can only find Satin in Rustolem in my area. All I have found online in Wurth is the semi-gloss too.

Ahhh, so many ?????

Thanks, Julia

Quick Reply: Chemical paint removal or sand blast?